Cabre AS45 active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought today an active crossover (two ways) from the italian brand Cabre, model AS45.

The device is well built and uses microswitches to select the crossover frequency.
I got it for very cheap (25euro) on the seller's presumption that it needed work; as far as I can tell it works, so I made a great deal!

I'm using it on the low-pass only. i tried it on both the low pass and high pass, and while it sounded reasonably neutral and transparent it was still noticeably grainy in the upper range, and "bloom" and atmosphere seem reduced.

I don't really need to actively crossover the upper range (my main amplifier is fed directly from the preamp and drives the original passive crossovers. A 6 ohms resistor is connected in place of the woofer. The woofers are connected to a separate amplifier wich is fed trough the active crossover.

I'd like to improve the SQ of the high range... I suspect a recap wouldn't be superfluous, and replacing the TL082 opamps with something more modern might bring some results? I was thinking LM4562 since I used those in my Revox B226 with great results. Usable in that application?

Dear Sir, I just bought an AS45 as well. But I think it was tweaked. Sorry I can't help you choosing any OP as an improvement. In general an old OP AMP is not necessarily worse than the present/old ones. I've a question, sorry. Did you get the owner's manual? In case, can You please hand me a copy (of course I'll pay for this help)? Thanks. Alberto

Oh wow! I have it too!
I'm building my new crossover (the Xover44) to replace a Cabre AS45 (low version) plus my old 3-way beauty you can see in this picture.
I don't think I have a manual for it. If i find it I will share.
what I can share is the cutting options picture on the cover lid, sometimes missing on the used unities.
I hope this help.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Luckily my AS45 has the cutting options lid, but thanks anyway. Actually I'm wondering about the effectiveness of the front panel level knobs. Because a couple of measurements shows me that - left and right set at 0 dB - the low pass gains 20 dBs (x10). Whilst the high pass - same setting - shows 2 dBs gain. I will check it again this evening with another rig (oscilloscope+signal generator). Cheers. Alberto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.