discrete preamp/gain module recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build discrete preamplifier.

Since I have not been active in the world of diy for more than 10 years, there is a risk that I would miss new solutions that arise in the previous period if I do not ask.

Music source will mainly be my newly built MPD linux server.
(Raspberry PI + Mamboberry DAC (modified) + high quality separate power supplies + high quality enclosure... + NAS).

Power amplifier I am using is Leach Amp (in dual mono configuration).

For volume control, I will build at least 2 versions - with Muses 7230 and LDR., and to finally decide after listening tests...

Preamp (selector and volume) will be controlled during development with arduino, and later we will see..

So, what gain module to build?

I am currently thinking of:
a) α20 (Amb)
b) some version of Pass Labs gain module (but I really can not find on this forum what is the last version... schematics... UGS-6 is being mentioned but I can not get to specific schematics...)
c) some other solution...

Please do recommend specific solution you have built and you are very satisfied with.

Thank you.

First, thank you for the link of very good article. :)

Do you need a gain module?
What is the senstivity you built into your Leach Lo Tim?
What is the maximum output from your digital Source?
If you don't need extra gain, then look at Buffers. There are dozens on this Forum.

Output impedance of my DAC is 250 ohm, and 1.9V max out.

I can not remember what was input impedance and input sensitivity of Leach Lo Tim... :( Built some years ago according to original schemes (, with very carefully selected and paired components and with rather oversized high quality power source).

I will have to try to get to equipment somehow and to measure input sensitivity of Leach amp... (not easy for me to organize)

As preamp, I currently use old Hafler 110 (sounds ok), and sometimes some nice Elephantus tube preamp, that sounds rather good at low listening levels, but with higher gain (lower attenuation) it runs my amp in some clippings..

This was leaded me to conclusion that I might just need attenuator and buffer, not a preamp...

I have heard that 2SJ74 i 2SK17 buffers sounds very good (does not affects the sound much), and as I can see this combination is still commonly used in Pass Labs buffers... but I got lost in all the versions presented on this site :confused:, not knowing what buffer is the latest version/revision...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.