G.A.S Goliath

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just answered your AK post. +/- 28VDC. What's wrong with your Thoebe? I can repair it if you need. I'm a GAS/SUMO addict and have almost all of the common units EXCEPT a Thoebe. I rebuilt a Thoebe a few years ago but never got to run a Goliath with it. Can you remove the cover and tell where the wires to the external Goliath connector go. I don't remember if there are some decoupling RC networks between the power supply and the connector, I don't think there is. Both Thaedras have an RC decoupling network between the PS and the head amplifier, that could be why you see +/- 22VDC on the head schematic, instead of +/- 28VDC.

Craig

llwhtt,

Here is a few shots of the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 431
Did you find the wires? Can you post apicture where they connect to the main board? From those pics I would say those are all original capacitors, probably long gone, notice how the heatshrink covering has shrunk down the sides of the capacitors. These preamps, Thaedra and Thoebe, run a tad on the warm side.

Craig

The wires to the power input jack are red and violet brownish. Yes, this was originally bought new so, I guess the heat over time has caused this.
Here is more pictures, I can take more with better lighting if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 393
I found the answer in an email from Mike Bettinger, there's no decoupling circuit, the rear connector is straight off of the regulators. The wires in the one I rebuilt were white and gray, I guess they used whatever color they had at the time. Soooooooooooooo there's your answer +/- 28VDC, don't know what the current is though. I'll figure that out when I get home.

Craig

10 Ohms won't drop much voltage at 50 ma. I guess the power supply voltage don't matter all that much. The Head Amp schematic says +/- 22VDC, my Thaedra I, which uses the same PCB has +/- 24VDC and your Thoebe will probably have close to +/- 28VDC. I've never seen a Goliath in person is there any thing in it besides the Head Amp PCB?

Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.