Remote Control for the BPBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My understanding is that the 4 input board sits as a separate board, perhaps even in a separate box. That way it can be added by anyone already using their bppbp as a two input preamp with no changes to the original board.
That is fully correct

I'm sure that anyone who wants to and hasn't yet installed their bppbp can instead solder wires directly to the bppbp and extend the bppbp's outputs to the rear panel.
Not only the output should be extended to the rear panel, but also Channel 1 of the BPBP.

Hans

I am not sure about a separated box. As far I understand the Maja board will control the inputs and the volume. So there will be a connection from the Maja to the BP preampli for the pot and another connection for the additional input board.

That is correct, the wiring from the VolCB (no Maya signals are involved) to the "4 Input Select" can be extended to an outside box, although the shorter the better, so everything in one and the same cabinet is to be preferred.

Hans

Selecting an output to switch a relay is performed directly from a I2C chip, in this case a PCF8574.

I hadn't realised that - makes sense now.

Yes, by simply removing (or not mounting) the volume PCF8574, you have direct control over the 6 steering lines to select any code between 0 and 63.

Excellent, thanks for that info.

Hi there,

I have gine through Maya and VoICB. It looks like an interesting project all together.

I am planning to use BPBP as a part of active crossover for 3way speakers.

My application would be far from typical but interesting.

I will need three stereo balanced inputs only with no input selection functionality. Feeding three set of VoICB boards using Maya controller.

The output would be 3 stereo balanced outputs.

Do you think this solution could be implemented by modifying just the input board presented here?

From Maya perspective it has 4 inputs only, but each input can have any number of channels. As long as you are using enough maya boards

I.e. 1x stereo board can be used as balanced input.

If you have 3x balanced boards installed in Maya it will give you.

4x inputs with 3x balanced channel each

Would similar set up work with 3x VoICB boards as well?

Thanks,
Oleg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I have gine through Maya and VoICB. It looks like an interesting project all together.

I am planning to use BPBP as a part of active crossover for 3way speakers.

My application would be far from typical but interesting.

I will need three stereo balanced inputs only with no input selection functionality. Feeding three set of VoICB boards using Maya controller.

The output would be 3 stereo balanced outputs.

Do you think this solution could be implemented by modifying just the input board presented here?

I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of questions, but I´ll try to answer them where possible.
Did you read this posting, it describes how to setup a system for a 3 channel LS system.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/279382-bppbp-bruno-putzeys-purist-balanced-preamp-well-balanced-volume-control-really-45.html#post4700449
So the answer is yes and you don't have to change anything at all.
Just one Maya controller, three VolCB's and three BPBP is what you will need.

From Maya perspective it has 4 inputs only, but each input can have any number of channels. As long as you are using enough maya boards
I do not understand this differentiation between inputs and channels. In my perception they are the same thing.
A complete Maya system in its simplest version has 4 Single Ended inputs, but this can be expanded to many multiples of 4, either single ended or balanced.

I.e. 1x stereo board can be used as balanced input.
No, for balanced you need 2 SE (Single Ended) boards.

If you have 3x balanced boards installed in Maya it will give you.

4x inputs with 3x balanced channel each
3 balanced boards are thus in fact 6 SE boards, giving you 12 balanced inputs, or 8 Balanced + 8 SE, or 4 balanced + 16 SE inputs.

Would similar set up work with 3x VoICB boards as well?

Thanks,
Oleg

As already mentioned, when using BPBP's you will need 1 Maya controller, 3 VolCB's and 3 BPBP's.
Individual loudness differences between the 3 LS channels can be tuned by means of description in the link above.

Hope this helps you,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Thank you for considering my post.

It is all clear to me now.

I will go through the link you have provided.

As for Maya I think the terminology of inputs and channels there is split.

I.e one input should include all channels.

I..e.. Maya had 4 inputs only. But tibi is saying you can use it to power your ht solution with any number of channels.

Lets assume you have 6 channels and 3 stereo single ended boards.

That means you would have 3*2=6 single ended channels.

And 4 inputs, giving you 4*6=24 channels in total.

In case of Maya build one board can be used for single ended stereo (2x single ended channels) or one balanced channel.

Hi Hans,

Thank you for considering my post.

It is all clear to me now.

I will go through the link you have provided.

As for Maya I think the terminology of inputs and channels there is split.

I.e one input should include all channels.

I..e.. Maya had 4 inputs only. But tibi is saying you can use it to power your ht solution with any number of channels.

Lets assume you have 6 channels and 3 stereo single ended boards.

That means you would have 3*2=6 single ended channels.

And 4 inputs, giving you 4*6=24 channels in total.

In case of Maya build one board can be used for single ended stereo (2x single ended channels) or one balanced channel.

It may be a good idea to check all this with Tibi, because I have the feeling that you have misunderstood the working of the Maya system.

Hans

Reading the question, i'm confused by what is meant by channels and inputs and also which boards are being referred to..

If you wanted to control 6 channels of balanced audio together at once (i.e. their levels move together in unison) the you would need 3 x BPPBP boards (each BPPBP board outputs 2 balanced chanels, normally left and right in stereo set up), 3 x VolCB and one single Maya.

A single Maya can control an endless number of VolCBs if all change level in unison, the all act as clones. Well, i'm sure there will be practical limits to the number of VolCB boards in reality, depending on the PCF chip's ability to handle signal loss over the array.

If you want to switch inputs on each of the BPPBP boards all at the same time then you should be able to again control multiple relays in unison via the input switching PCF chip on the VolCB. Either you could tie this input switching to just one VolCB with multiple relays switching via the 5v control lines from one VolCB, or you might be able to get each VolCB board switching input in unison just as you do with level control.

Does this sound like what you want to do?

If at any point you want to have channels with seperate level control from the other channels, you need another Maya added controlling it's own VolCB.

I'm not sure why you would want multiple inputs when controlling an active system. There would only be the one input - that of the crossover. Any input switching would surely go before the crossover and be a stereo source? In that case you can use just one of Hans' 3 input expansion boards before the crossover but controlled from the Maya/VolCB.

Does all this sound right Hans?

Reading the question, i'm confused by what is meant by channels and inputs and also which boards are being referred to..

If you wanted to control 6 channels of balanced audio together at once (i.e. their levels move together in unison) the you would need 3 x BPPBP boards (each BPPBP board outputs 2 balanced chanels, normally left and right in stereo set up), 3 x VolCB and one single Maya.

A single Maya can control an endless number of VolCBs if all change level in unison, the all act as clones. Well, i'm sure there will be practical limits to the number of VolCB boards in reality, depending on the PCF chip's ability to handle signal loss over the array.

If you want to switch inputs on each of the BPPBP boards all at the same time then you should be able to again control multiple relays in unison via the input switching PCF chip on the VolCB. Either you could tie this input switching to just one VolCB with multiple relays switching via the 5v control lines from one VolCB, or you might be able to get each VolCB board switching input in unison just as you do with level control.

Does this sound like what you want to do?

If at any point you want to have channels with seperate level control from the other channels, you need another Maya added controlling it's own VolCB.

I'm not sure why you would want multiple inputs when controlling an active system. There would only be the one input - that of the crossover. Any input switching would surely go before the crossover and be a stereo source? In that case you can use just one of Hans' 3 input expansion boards before the crossover but controlled from the Maya/VolCB.

Does all this sound right Hans?

I can agree with what you say, but I am also not sure what is wanted.
F.i. is the crossover before or after the BPBP, and how many (switched) inputs are needed.
A picture tells more than a thousand words, so maybe Aradan can make a sketch.

Hans

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The VolCB has 6 outputs, so yes, your board can be controlled by Maya, but only when 5 Volt relays are used, since the I2C chip on the VolCB cannot handle 12 Volt.

Thanks Hans,

As many of the diyers that take part of 6 inputs GB ask for the full populated board I am trying to have a overall view and found a way to use the 6 Input board as it is with the 12V relays. I don't know if you post already the VolCB schematic somewhere else but I read that is using the pcf8574 to drive the relays. So I can suppose that at the J9 the selected input is LO (gnd) and the others are HI (+5V)? If am correct a small interface board with a 6 inverter IC and a ULN2003 should solve the problem? The small board will be directly connected to the 6 Input board as "adapter" of VolCB board.

Regards,
Enrico

Hi, Hans, Natdberg, All,

I think I have raised too many questions for one post. Apologize for that.

As you have mentioned the active crossover wont require any input selection

I will make a picture in the meanwhile.

Najda driven digital cross over

Driving 3x dacs

Which are connected to

1 maya
3x VoICB
3x BPBP

Should cover my requirements

I may just need an inout board to mount at the back of the pre amp with six inputs connected to the VoICB boards.

The discussion about channels brought some confusion, I think it is irrelevant for my case. So we can just close that part

Thanks,
Oleg

Last edited:
Thanks Hans,

As many of the diyers that take part of 6 inputs GB ask for the full populated board I am trying to have a overall view and found a way to use the 6 Input board as it is with the 12V relays. I don't know if you post already the VolCB schematic somewhere else but I read that is using the pcf8574 to drive the relays. So I can suppose that at the J9 the selected input is LO (gnd) and the others are HI (+5V)? If am correct a small interface board with a 6 inverter IC and a ULN2003 should solve the problem? The small board will be directly connected to the 6 Input board as "adapter" of VolCB board.

Regards,
Enrico
Hi Enrico,

You are right, a Hex Inverter + ULN2003 can perfectly do the job.
Looking at the cost factor, it might be an alternative to replace the 12V relays by 5 V versions, in that case without interface board.

The circuit diagram of the VolCB is here.

VolCB.jpg

VolCB_PCB.jpg

There is either the possibility to just use the 2 inputs on the BPBP, or to steer up to 6 external relays.
When only using the two BPBP inputs, relay 7 should be mounted to replace switch S1 on the BPBP.
For external inputs, the signals Rel1 to Rel6 are to be used and Relay 7 should be discarded.

Hans

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Enrico,

You are right, a Hex Inverter + ULN2003 can perfectly do the job.
Looking at the cost factor, it might be an alternative to replace the 12V relays by 5 V versions, in that case without interface board.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the schematic. It's clear now

Thinking about the cost, the price of 12 relays G6K-2F-5DC at mouser is 4,06 USD each = 48.72 USD plus shipping.
If I consider just myself you are right but I need to take in consideration the people that joined my GB and have already the 6 input board in the hands. The 12 relays are SMD and many are not able to do the change by themselves.
The 2 ICs plus connectors and caps are more or less 6/7USD. If there is interest the cost of the PCB will be much less than the cost of 12 relays.

Best Regards,
Enrico

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the schematic. It's clear now

Thinking about the cost, the price of 12 relays G6K-2F-5DC at mouser is 4,06 USD each = 48.72 USD plus shipping.
If I consider just myself you are right but I need to take in consideration the people that joined my GB and have already the 6 input board in the hands. The 12 relays are SMD and many are not able to do the change by themselves.
The 2 ICs plus connectors and caps are more or less 6/7USD. If there is interest the cost of the PCB will be much less than the cost of 12 relays.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Hi Enrico,

I fully understand your concern which is probably valid for most users.

For those who are able to replace the relays, probably the most cost effective alternative with a just bit of bending is the IM03N for ca. 2,- USD in quantities.

Succes,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Just checked with Tibi.

For the balanced Maya boards he would support 4x selectable (one balanced channel st a time) balanced channels per board.

So it seems that in case of VoICB he should support 4x pairs of balanced channels per board.

Which can be done via your or Enrico's input boards

Oleg

Hi Hans,

Just checked with Tibi.

For the balanced Maya boards he would support 4x selectable (one balanced channel st a time) balanced channels per board.

So it seems that in case of VoICB he should support 4x pairs of balanced channels per board.

Which can be done via your or Enrico's input boards

Oleg

Ho Oleg,

My confusion only increases. One uses either a full Maya system, with SE or Balanced inputs but without VolCB and BPBP, or alternatively use just and only the Maya CPU controller to control VolCB('s) which in turn control the BPBP and a number of input channels either one at the time or in parallel.
So I don't really see what you mean that "in case of the VolCB he should support 4x pairs of balanced channels per board" ???

So could you please make a sketch of what you have in mind, that seems the only way to stop confusion. Do not think too much in solutions, just tell what you want, so I can try to come as close as possible to your ideas.

Hans

Hi Hans,

I have brought in confusion by covering two threads at once

1. Active cross over six inouts, ni need to select inputs. This question is closed with your reference to another post.

2. Capability of Maya channel selection if more than one VoICB is used.

Question closed above

My implementation would be simple as in point 1

Hi Hans,

I have brought in confusion by covering two threads at once

1. Active cross over six inouts, ni need to select inputs. This question is closed with your reference to another post.

2. Capability of Maya channel selection if more than one VoICB is used.

Question closed above

My implementation would be simple as in point 1

My impression is still that you have no idea what a Maya board is doing.
That why I have includes a circuit diagram.
View attachment Schematic MAYA 3.2.pdf

As you can see, a Maya board supports 4 SE stereo channels, and 2 Maya boards support either 8 SE stereo channels or 4 Balanced channels.

A VolCB has no inputs or outputs and is not controlled by a Maya stereo board, but by a MAYA CPU controller. A VolCB only controls a BPBP, which depending on the configuration can switch between 2, 4 or 6 channels.
Here a copy of your question to Tibi
So does it mean that maya would support 4 different inputs for each maya board.
And the same applies to Hanns VoICB boards as well.
If used with 3x VoICB boards we can have 6x balanced channels and 4x inputs with 6x bala ced channels each?
Here again, each Maya board supports 4 different stereo SE inputs and 2 Maya boards support 4 balanced stereo inputs.
That DOES NOT apply to the VolCB as well, because one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
When using 3x VolCB boards in parallel, you can have 3 balanced stereo inputs playing at the same time, with 2, 4 or 6 triple stereo inputs to select from, depending on configuration.

Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.