Remote Control for the BPBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I wired up the inputs and outputs to the BPBP/VolCB/Maya combo. The volume control works very well. The 4 input selection is not working for me with the Maya. I am using firmware 1.9. I may not have things hooked up correctly though. I have the output of the 4 input board going to input 2 of the BPBP (the one when the relay in grounded).
Hi Mike,

Is the BPBP switching between the two inputs, and do you hear any relays switching on the 4 input select board ?
And can you instruct the Maya controller to select between 4 inputs?
Try to connect the output of the 4 input select board to the other input of the BPBP and see if that makes a difference.

Hans

Hi Do,

As I have already mentioned in the group buy forum, Tibi has shipped the boards to me July the 27th.
Unfortunately I haven't received them so far and Tibi is pushing the expedition company.
I only need one or two days, but all I can do is wait and wait.
The moment I get boards, I will inform everybody.
I'm very sorry, but there is not much that I can do at the moment.

Hans

Sorry, didn't read that part. No rush my friend

Thanks
Do

Yes, the other input on the BPBP works correctly. The 4 input selector board should be connected to J1 and J7 on the BPBP. Looking at the schematic I had assumed J3 and J9.
All is well!

Glad to hear everything is working.
J1 and J3 are right below the outputs of the 4 input select board and this was exactly how it was meant to be connected.

Do you hear any pops or clicks when changing the volume?
If not, everything is working the way it should be, and all the others still in the waiting queue could receive their stuff.

I'm sorry I couldn't test it myself, but without boards no game.

Hans

Mike,

Are you sure your Firmware has release 1.9 ?
According to Tibi it should be 1.0 or 1.1.
These two versions do not have the special anti glitch feature which should suppress pops and clicks when changing the volume.
This can be best tested when going from 100000 to 011111 and vice versa.
This translates into toggling between the positions -32 dB and -31 dB on the display of the Maya Controller, assuming that the loudest setting is being displayed as 0 dB.

Hans

Mike,

Are you sure your Firmware has release 1.9 ?
According to Tibi it should be 1.0 or 1.1.
These two versions do not have the special anti glitch feature which should suppress pops and clicks when changing the volume.
This can be best tested when going from 100000 to 011111 and vice versa.
This translates into toggling between the positions -32 dB and -31 dB on the display of the Maya Controller, assuming that the loudest setting is being displayed as 0 dB.

Hans

I double checked and my firmware is version .9 and yes there is a pop between -32 and -31db. I am waiting for the firmware for use with VolCB. Is that out yet?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Interesting thread - Bruno should be happy!
I use my BPBP in stand-alone mode in my system as it is pretty much invisible (for audio ;-).

I read the tread but didn't find any specific reference to a suitable power supply. Maybe my new SilentSwicher is of interest; it is specifically designed to applications like this! There is also a video on it, if you can stand my face....

One important point is that you can run it on say a PowerBank, totally separated from the mains, which does away with mains ground loops and a lot of junk coming in through it.

Comments?

Jan

Interesting thread - Bruno should be happy!
I use my BPBP in stand-alone mode in my system as it is pretty much invisible (for audio ;-).

I read the tread but didn't find any specific reference to a suitable power supply. Maybe my new SilentSwicher is of interest; it is specifically designed to applications like this! There is also a video on it, if you can stand my face....

One important point is that you can run it on say a PowerBank, totally separated from the mains, which does away with mains ground loops and a lot of junk coming in through it.

Comments?

Jan

Very interesting. However the current delivery may not be enough - I understand that the Maya need 2a and one BPBP needs 1a. Perhaps Hans can confirm.

Is BPBP = B.Putzeys balanced volume control?
The balanced volume control uses ~140mA, when all three relays are triggered on.

Shame that 24V low current relays were not used and that they took their supply off the two smoothed rails before going through the regulators.

Current supply for the BPBP should be able to deliver +/- 200mA to cope with spread in components and for the extra current needed when playing and also to driving a main amp through a cable.
When the two Hypex regulators are completely replaced by the Silent Switcher, the +/-150 mA it can supply might be just enough, although that would not be my advice.
Maybe Jan can increase the output current a bit to +/- 200 mA by using small heatsinks on the voltage regulators, because these regulators are probably able to handle this amount of current with ease.

Hans

Very interesting. However the current delivery may not be enough - I understand that the Maya need 2a and one BPBP needs 1a. Perhaps Hans can confirm.

Unfortunately I never had a Maya controller in my hands, so the 2Amp that Tibi specifies is what has to be accounted for at this very moment.
And also the VolCB and for some of us the 4 input or the 5 input boards have lots of relays being controlled by the same 5 Volt.

Tibi has sent me a new set of boards, since the shipment from the 27th of july should be regarded as permanently lost.
As soon as I have the new set, i will do a measurent and maybe Jan's solution might prove to be adequate with 5 V / 1 Amp.

Hans

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Current supply for the BPBP should be able to deliver +/- 200mA to cope with spread in components and for the extra current needed when playing and also to driving a main amp through a cable.
When the two Hypex regulators are completely replaced by the Silent Switcher, the +/-150 mA it can supply might be just enough, although that would not be my advice.
Maybe Jan can increase the output current a bit to +/- 200 mA by using small heatsinks on the voltage regulators, because these regulators are probably able to handle this amount of current with ease.

Hans

Actually the 150mA came from the max current an early PowerBank could deliver. The actual unit could probably get to almost double that.
Good point; I should finalise those specs.

In my mind the SilentSwitcher should directly power the BPBP without the need for the Hypex (or other) on-board regulators.

Jan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for making this Firmware version available.

And Mike, you as a frontrunner, all eyes are focussed now in your direction.
I'm anxiously waiting to hear your results with the new firmware sent by Dan.

Hans

I've loaded the new firmware. All seems to be working fine! The pop at -32bd is gone. Switching works correctly and it goes to full mute below -63db.

I was not able to test Input 4 since that is my phono input and I don't have a turntable in my workshop.

Mike

I've loaded the new firmware. All seems to be working fine! The pop at -32bd is gone. Switching works correctly and it goes to full mute below -63db.

I was not able to test Input 4 since that is my phono input and I don't have a turntable in my workshop.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Nice to hear that the VolCB is working the way it should, you did a great job by testing all this.
I'm not so worried about Input 4 when the Inputs 1-3 are working correctly.
In fact it means that you system is complete now, isn't it?
Or do you still have remarks or details that are not O.K.

Hans

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.