Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Remote Control for the BPBP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2016, 04:40 PM   #11
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Tibi has responded and is willing to produce the 4 Input PCBs for a minimum factory order of 30 pcs, just like the VolCB.

Hans
Old 20th May 2016, 02:58 AM   #12
emyeuoi is offline emyeuoi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Hans,

Just found this thread. The solution with Maya it's really interesting. Thanks for your effort

As per schematic you post the input board is identical of the one I proposed in the 6 input GB. The only difference is that I use 12V relays instead of 5V you propose.
I take the chance to reassure everyone that join my GB that the board that they have bought is fully compatible with Maya board. At least is what I understand reading the posts in this thread but plase let me know if I am wrong.

A question about your new VolCB, with the normal linear 10K pot I can't go more than 2 o'clock rotation. After that the ampli go in DC protection. Is quite annoying but is safe! Maybe in your design you already taking care about?

Best Regards,
Enrico

PS: actually the 6 input GB is not closed, just expired itself. That's is quite strange to me, it"s not the first GB that I run but it's the first time that I have no feedback at all, whatever positive or negative.
Old 20th May 2016, 08:20 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyeuoi View Post
Hi Hans,

Just found this thread. The solution with Maya it's really interesting. Thanks for your effort

As per schematic you post the input board is identical of the one I proposed in the 6 input GB. The only difference is that I use 12V relays instead of 5V you propose.
I take the chance to reassure everyone that join my GB that the board that they have bought is fully compatible with Maya board. At least is what I understand reading the posts in this thread but plase let me know if I am wrong.

A question about your new VolCB, with the normal linear 10K pot I can't go more than 2 o'clock rotation. After that the ampli go in DC protection. Is quite annoying but is safe! Maybe in your design you already taking care about?

Best Regards,
Enrico

PS: actually the 6 input GB is not closed, just expired itself. That's is quite strange to me, it"s not the first GB that I run but it's the first time that I have no feedback at all, whatever positive or negative.
Hi Enrico,

1) I have no details of your 6 input board, maybe you can send me a circuit diagram, then I can confirm if and in what way it can be steered by the VolCB and Maya.

2) There are no 2 o'clock issues with the digital vol pot, because gain goes from -57dB to +6db.

Hans
Old 20th May 2016, 01:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
Hi Enrico,

1) I have no details of your 6 input board, maybe you can send me a circuit diagram, then I can confirm if and in what way it can be steered by the VolCB and Maya.

2) There are no 2 o'clock issues with the digital vol pot, because gain goes from -57dB to +6db.

Hans
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply and for the really good news about the pot.

Attached is the schematic of the 6 input board, not really professional but I hope understandable. Anyway looks similar to your schematic, the +12V (that I take directly from the BP board) is fix to the relays's coil and the switch is done through a 6 contact rotary switch to the GND. The input parts are installed on board near the input.

I am curious about the J7 and J8 in your board. As far I understand looking in the 3D you post here all the 8 XLR are installed in the rear panel and in the rear panel there will be also the 6 original XLR from the BP board. The 2 XLR of the BP input 2 should be connected to the J7 and J8 of the additional input board. If I am right this mean that we have 14 XLR in the rear panel for 4 input (input 1 from the BP and the 3 additional) and all in line. Maybe I miss something?

Best Regards,
Enrico
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (169).png (16.5 KB, 649 views)
Old 20th May 2016, 01:24 PM   #15
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Being able to use the 6 input board with VolCB would be excellent.

@Hans

In simple terms, how does the input select work from the VolCB? Does it have a 6 way relay which will select the input relay directly, or does it cycle through each input relay one at a time? I just wanted to know for knwoledge's sake, not for a practical reason.

On a different note, is there such a thing out in the world as a simple I2C data transmitter which will respond to simple control like a data wheel and send data to a single, selectable address?

I ask this as I will want to implement a second variable output but one which does not need to be remotely controlled. Your VolCB gives a better output range so is there a way to control only volume level with something simple like a manual data wheel or even a set of DIP switches?
Old 20th May 2016, 01:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I am curious about the J7 and J8 in your board. As far I understand looking in the 3D you post here all the 8 XLR are installed in the rear panel and in the rear panel there will be also the 6 original XLR from the BP board. The 2 XLR of the BP input 2 should be connected to the J7 and J8 of the additional input board. If I am right this mean that we have 14 XLR in the rear panel for 4 input (input 1 from the BP and the 3 additional) and all in line. Maybe I miss something?

Best Regards,
Enrico
My understanding is that the 4 input board sits as a separate board, perhaps even in a separate box. That way it can be added by anyone already using their bppbp as a two input preamp with no changes to the original board.

I'm sure that anyone who wants to and hasn't yet installed their bppbp can instead solder wires directly to the bppbp and extend the bppbp's outputs to the rear panel.
Old 20th May 2016, 01:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I am not sure about a separated box. As far I understand the Maja board will control the inputs and the volume. So there will be a connection from the Maja to the BP preampli for the pot and another connection for the additional input board.
Old 20th May 2016, 02:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am not sure about a separated box. As far I understand the Maja board will control the inputs and the volume. So there will be a connection from the Maja to the BP preampli for the pot and another connection for the additional input board.
Ah yes, the Maya and VolCB would be in the same box as the BPPBP (so just front panel change addition of the Maya and VolCB boards internally). But the 4 x input board looks to be designed as an expansion board for BPPBP's Input 2 with I2C input select from the VolCB (originating from the Maya).

As an expansion board, it leaves the BPPBP components alone and so can be used both in a separate unit or within the same box, as the user wishes.

I just looked again at Hans' 3D rendering - indeed it is only a 3 input expansion board so requires Input 1 on the BPPBP to be considered as the one of the inputs.

That is slightly different from your 6 input board which replaces all the BPPBP's inputs and output entirely and is should be considered to be integrated by the designer from the very start (as I will be doing).

Last edited by NATDBERG; 20th May 2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 20th May 2016, 03:33 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply and for the really good news about the pot.

Attached is the schematic of the 6 input board, not really professional but I hope understandable. Anyway looks similar to your schematic, the +12V (that I take directly from the BP board) is fix to the relays's coil and the switch is done through a 6 contact rotary switch to the GND. The input parts are installed on board near the input.
The VolCB has 6 outputs, so yes, your board can be controlled by Maya, but only when 5 Volt relays are used, since the I2C chip on the VolCB cannot handle 12 Volt.

Quote:

Best Regards,
Enrico
The 5 XLR pairs on the "4 Input Select Board" are resp.: Tape Out, Channel 4, Channel 3, Channel 2 and output (J7+J8) to connect to one BPBP input.
The BPBP will keep Channel 1 and the Main Output. Former Channel 2 on the BPBP will be connected to J7+J8 on the 4 Input Select board.

In total the backpanel will show 8 XLR pairs: 5 on the "4 Input Select" + 3 on the BPBP, giving in total 4 Input Channels, 1 Main Output and 1 Tape Output.
The two pairs connecting the two PCB, are making it possible to leave a fully populated BPBP unmodified.

Hans
Old 20th May 2016, 03:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATDBERG View Post
Being able to use the 6 input board with VolCB would be excellent.

@Hans

In simple terms, how does the input select work from the VolCB? Does it have a 6 way relay which will select the input relay directly, or does it cycle through each input relay one at a time? I just wanted to know for knwoledge's sake, not for a practical reason.
Selecting an output to switch a relay is performed directly from a I2C chip, in this case a PCF8574.
Quote:
On a different note, is there such a thing out in the world as a simple I2C data transmitter which will respond to simple control like a data wheel and send data to a single, selectable address?
To control a I2C chip, you will need a CPU, a simple replacement is not possible.

Quote:
I ask this as I will want to implement a second variable output but one which does not need to be remotely controlled. Your VolCB gives a better output range so is there a way to control only volume level with something simple like a manual data wheel or even a set of DIP switches?
Yes, by simply removing (or not mounting) the volume PCF8574, you have direct control over the 6 steering lines to select any code between 0 and 63.

Hans

Remote Control for the BPBPHide this!Advertise here!