Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Curcio PAS 3 vibration
Curcio PAS 3 vibration
Curcio PAS 3 vibration Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2015, 03:59 PM   #1
theurbanshaman is offline theurbanshaman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Curcio PAS 3 vibration

I have had this PAS 3 with full Curcio Mods for 25 years. It started to develop a hum or vibration from the unit, not in the signal path. I should have sent it to Curcio but I sent it off to someone whom I thought would identify the issue, but they didn't. When it was returned I set it on a turntable dust cover for initial tryout and heard a strong vibration when I powered up that continues as long as it's on, even though the preamp still sounds sweet. Anyone know what's the likely cause? (FYI I'm not good at fixing gear or reading schematics.)
Old 9th December 2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Tell us about the power supply transformer.
Old 9th December 2015, 02:06 AM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Curcio PAS 3 vibration
Hi theurbanshaman,
Kevin is right, it is most likely the power transformer. I suspect it is an EI type, and maybe the bolts have loosened off over time.

-Chris
Old 9th December 2015, 06:22 PM   #4
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

No bolts on a PAS xfmr, bracket like a open frame choke. If the xfmr is vibrating due to current draw I can't see it lasting very long. The heater supply needs to have the selenium rectifier and filter capacitors replaced if not already done. The OP can pull the HV rectifier to see if the vibration stops. If that doesn't stop it pull the 12AX7s one at a time to see if that cures the vibration.

Craig
Old 9th December 2015, 08:08 PM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Curcio PAS 3 vibration
Hi Craig,
Then maybe its the varnish (or whatever) letting go and allowing normal magneto-restriction to vibrate the loose plates? If it was drawing that much current, it would begin to smell at some point and the O P would have mentioned that.

If it has a selenium rectifier, definitely get it replaced. They normally go high resistance in low voltage applications. At higher voltages I have seen them short, so normal diodes will result in a slightly higher B+ voltage. I completely agree with you on replacing the capacitors in the heater circuit, but include the B+ circuit too.

-Chris
Old 9th December 2015, 08:47 PM   #6
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

The xfmr is so small it's hard to believe it's vibrating very much but that's the only thing that can vibrate. I didn't go look at the Curcio mod. but I'd bet the heater supply is already up to date. Not sure if the HV rectification is still tube or not. We'll have to wait for the OP.

Craig
Old 10th December 2015, 12:23 AM   #7
theurbanshaman is offline theurbanshaman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default original transformer

More clues:

I believe the power transformer is the original Dynaco stamped "PA 211" on the top. There is no longer a rectifier tube - instead there is Curcio's power supply board CURCIO AUDIO STEREO-70 AMPLIFIER MODIFICATION

When I removed the unit from my system the hum and vibration is not obvious, but in the system even with everything else turned off there is a strong hum.

The line stage signal is very quiet, the phono has some hum when turned way up.

Curcio PAS 3 vibrationHide this!Advertise here!