Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Slimline 1U right here from the DIY store. Will have to ship off front and back panels to FPD for machine work.

I believe the DIYAudio store can do the panel customizations using the FPD files. No need to engage a separate vendor. In addition, the DIYAudio store offers re-anodization after milling, which FPE here in the USA does not offer.

Finally about to start this! Couple questions-

1) Digikey is out of the Amgis L01-6354 until December. Alternatives? Antek AN-0218 - 25VA?

2) Input - I only need one input (RCA for phono). Could I remove the IO and wire directly to the main PCB? That seems to leave out the 3 second delay on the IO board. Not a big deal to leave the IO board in.

3)Another idea is to include a phono (Bugle2) in the case and run it directly to the main PCB. I will primarily be using this with an Aleph J, so it would be nice to have phono-preamp-amp connection with the ability to bypass the tone controls. Might be unnecessarily restrictive, but I can always change it later.

Please feel free to PM me on questions 2&3 since they are specific to my build and I don't want to clutter up the thread. Any general insight or considerations would be extremely helpful. Still learning on this.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I did not know that the store did machining and Infill. They use .FPD's. Are they just sending on to Front Panel. How about costs?

Yep - its in the Chassis section under Customization Services. Prices are listed there. It's competitive with FPE, if not better. I believe they do the work themselves. The FPD files are a form of CAD files as far as I know, so they can use these.

Finally about to start this! Couple questions-

1) Digikey is out of the Amgis L01-6354 until December. Alternatives? Antek AN-0218 - 25VA?

2) Input - I only need one input (RCA for phono). Could I remove the IO and wire directly to the main PCB? That seems to leave out the 3 second delay on the IO board. Not a big deal to leave the IO board in.

3)Another idea is to include a phono (Bugle2) in the case and run it directly to the main PCB. I will primarily be using this with an Aleph J, so it would be nice to have phono-preamp-amp connection with the ability to bypass the tone controls. Might be unnecessarily restrictive, but I can always change it later.

Please feel free to PM me on questions 2&3 since they are specific to my build and I don't want to clutter up the thread. Any general insight or considerations would be extremely helpful. Still learning on this.
Talema 70054K

You can wire the phonostage directly to it

Last edited:
Need help debugging

I am currently setting up my 2nd DS preamp. Unfortunately, I am facing a strange problem and I don't know where to start debugging:

Basically, everythng works fine, including the controls :) But when I turn up the Lo Gain, starting from somewhere above the center position, there is suddenly a loud hum on both channels until I turn back the Lo Gain :eek:

(Think I even crashed my 2 test speakers with it :ill:)

Ideas anyone?

tER i have I/O board with phono input, look in my signature. i don't know if that can help

Thanks for the tip, it may very well! Do you, by any chance, have any FPD/DXF-files that'll fit the I/O board? And how would I go about connecting the I/O-part to the board? It's rather hard to tell from the images, but does the board switch between possible in puts (just like it would in the Doug Self I/O - output, see attachment) or are the RCA and XLR always active at the same time?

Attachments

• IO.jpg
    IO.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
tER,
The board that will fit the best your need is 8 inputs with 4 RCA and 4 XLR ( separate from each other) with input RCA1 is reserved for phono input, the inputs switch between with the selector.
Yes i have FPD/DXF-files.
The inputs and ouputs connection to Dself preamp could be done easly from the HDR VERT DOUBLE 20P to the I/O board with the 5-pin Molex KK
The bad news is i am out of stock actualy of this board, i will need 2 weeks to get those, please PM if interested.

Attachments

• PCB I_O PREAMP 8 INPUT connector version XLR:RCA.pdf
    409.1 KB · Views: 156
  • PCB I_O PREAMP 8 INPUT connector version XLR:RCA.jpg
    PCB I_O PREAMP 8 INPUT connector version XLR:RCA.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 576
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for the tip, it may very well! Do you, by any chance, have any FPD/DXF-files that'll fit the I/O board? And how would I go about connecting the I/O-part to the board? It's rather hard to tell from the images, but does the board switch between possible in puts (just like it would in the Doug Self I/O - output, see attachment) or are the RCA and XLR always active at the same time?

I updated and redesigned the 8 input Board (340mm x 66mm)to be able to use the same ribbon Cable who is connected to the Dself Preamp board with a new 20p connector. That is 4 Unbalanced RCA and 4 Balanced XLR separate Input.

Attachments

• PCB- I-O CONNECTION BOARD 8 INPUT Version 2-XLR RCA.pdf
    478 KB · Views: 110
  • PCB- I-O CONNECTION BOARD 8 INPUT Version 2-XLR RCA.jpg
    PCB- I-O CONNECTION BOARD 8 INPUT Version 2-XLR RCA.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 516
Hello all,

Watching this thread I wonder if builders would be interested in a nice graphic display showing input and what device has been assigned to that input? What I am envisioning could be a simple module that the existing IO PCB would simply plug into. The IO would be switched by the new module.

If the answer is ‘yes’, there is an interest, I then must ask the question should it be a simple $3 chip driving a graphic module or do we go all out and use a BBB (Beagle Bone Black) computer and explore the world of USB DACs and music servers. We could do an internet lookup and display a graphic and details of the music playing. Using a BBB would open new doors for us to experiment in.

Please keep in mind I only toying with the beginnings. So is there interest? If the answer is “yes” what direction would you prefer? A simple display or an all out embedded audio appliance?