Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

Question on variable gain - would it be practical to connect the pads for R42 and R45 to a switch that allows 2 or more discrete values to be selected? For example, going to a toggle switch that allows 0 db or 10 db gain to be selected? Or would the length of the wires going to the switch compromise performance?
switchable gain is possible.
One should check that stability margins do not change adversely at some of the options.
Switching a gain stage to unity gain gives no useful advantage. It would be better to either switch select to a buffer stage or bypass and go completely passive if the source can drive the resulting capacitances.

5k pot

Page 33 of DS book...Self on Audio.. made me think otherwise but I might be missing something.

"It can be readily shown by simple algebra that the control track resistance now has no effect on the gain law, and hence the channel balance of such a system depends only on the mechanical alignment of the two halves of a dual linear pot."

Page 33 of DS book...Self on Audio.. made me think otherwise but I might be missing something.

"It can be readily shown by simple algebra that the control track resistance now has no effect on the gain law, and hence the channel balance of such a system depends only on the mechanical alignment of the two halves of a dual linear pot."

I think that refers to the fact that the pot value doesn't matter (1k or 5k or 10k or 50k or whatever). The law itself must be linear.

Carl,
Give me some advice, I built the self preamp It sounds great but i am plagued by an intermittent loud noise, sounds like static, maybe its a grounding issue? but i can find it.

I've traced it back to the i/o board, but figure out if its a bad relay or short somewhere,

Whats the grounding scheme? Are the the ca's and xlr grounded thru the chassis, i've installed it in a wood box?

thanks,
david

Carl,
Give me some advice, I built the self preamp It sounds great but i am plagued by an intermittent loud noise, sounds like static, maybe its a grounding issue? but i can find it.

I've traced it back to the i/o board, but figure out if its a bad relay or short somewhere,

Whats the grounding scheme? Are the the ca's and xlr grounded thru the chassis, i've installed it in a wood box?

thanks,
david

David,

The first thing that I would do is look at bottom side of the IO board for 'cold' or bad solder joints under a well it magnifying lens. And then just for good practice touch them all with a clean and hot solder pencil tip. That's always my first step in troubleshooting such problems.

I made some measurements on the tone control of the Elektor 2012 amplifier. I was a bit surprised because the impedances were extremely low in the 1k pot design. I knew that, but it was so low that I was surprised.

Z = 110 Ohm (@ 20khz), full boost
Z = 230 Ohm (@ 20khz), linear
Z = 330 Ohm (@ 20khz), full cut

A small OP that can never drive without having extreme distortions. The split-drive baxandal does not help either. What do you think?