Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

As far as enclosures are concerned what size are you thinking? Mine is 19" and that doesn't leave alot of spare room. Once you get the PS and and an AC input module not very much room left. So unless you come up with design that stacks the boards somehow not sure what you are going to do. My 19" 1U looks fanatastic. Like the Counterpoint preamps I owned in 80's and 90's. You can do some things like offboarding some pot(s) to come up with different faceplate layouts. I did that with then volume control to get a more balanced look on the faceplate.

As far as enclosures are concerned what size are you thinking? Mine is 19" and that doesn't leave alot of spare room. Once you get the PS and and an AC input module not very much room left. So unless you come up with design that stacks the boards somehow not sure what you are going to do. My 19" 1U looks fanatastic. Like the Counterpoint preamps I owned in 80's and 90's. You can do some things like offboarding some pot(s) to come up with different faceplate layouts. I did that with then volume control to get a more balanced look on the faceplate.

You're right.

A mechanical study should be performed before. For my side, I use frontpanelexpress and SketchUp to check the placement of boards, COTS, .... then you will know if you can mount all of items in a 1/2 19'' or a full 19'' or any mechanical box.

PrecisionPreamp

Hi everybody, nice to read that I'm not the only one that worked around Douglas Self's precision preamp. I started to read his articles in Electronic Wireless World back in 1996. It took me 20 years to decide myself to build it and it really worth it. I got rid of my homemade sub-woofer since the quality of this preamp brought the very deep sub bass even at low level listening.
The box I used cost only 45.00CAD and is 19'' wide. My contribution for the final look is the homemade display and remote control. The phono preamp is outside in an other box and it include a Devinyliser also from DS.

Attachments

• precision_preamp.jpg
    precision_preamp.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 301
PrecisionPreamp

From my point of view your ears won't notice the difference. Unless you have expensive equipment that could show you a slight difference. The key here will always be in PCB layout. Don't under estimate the worth of the ground plane because this is what will bring you the ''low noise''. Now for me using one or the other will be pretty similar. Your wallet has is word to say...

PrecisionPreamp

Fortunately your wallet won't suffer much because price difference between 5532 and 4562 is of little... concerning lowering noise aside layout PCB, my layout has 10ohms in series with each supply pins and 10uF +0.1uF on each IC pins supply. DS design show a minimum of 0.1uF between V+ and V-. Since we're the builder the cost of the more is just a few. The goal is to bring the preamp closer to the Blameless Preamp wich we're in control.

Hi-Rez PIC of the DSelf v2.1b Main PCB

"I need to troubleshoot my preamp. Signal getting lost somewhere. The component labels on circuit board are mostly covered by the components. Can a silk screen of the board be posted, or a photo of top of an unstuffed board?"

Here is a URL to a 'Hi-Rez' PIC of the v2.1b main PCB. I am guessing that you either have a bridged or old solder joint. In any case this should help.

Dropbox - DSELF_PREV21b.JPG - Simplify your life

PrecisionPreamp

Using 4K7 control everywhere is a little bit cuting everywhere! Balance control will not be +/-6 dB like original by DS, tone controls will not be +/- 10dB but less than half making boost/cut smaller and finally bass/treble slope will also diminish leaving blank frequency that will stay flat to 0dB with no boost/cut.

In my design, only the volume control has been change from 10K to 20K to raise a little on the output and using motor drive pot.

Bass/treble gain control can be modified in hopefuly getting a boost. Modifiyng slope of bass/treble need a little comprehension of the filter itself.

Mr. Self choose 10K pot for commodity of buying because it's easy to find. Most of my pots are from DigiKey. My motor pot from DIY store.

Finally using 4K7 pot everywhere is a nice challenge knowing the circuit topology and having equipments needed!