Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2017, 02:16 PM   #761
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Graemed, the link at Linear Audio seems dead, I believe Carl will send you the BOM if not drop box link.

Be aware than the main BOM is for one channel, check with the pcb to be sure one resistor is not missing. Some small errors on the power supply BOM about the connectors plugs for the wires if I remember.
Old 4th May 2017, 04:11 PM   #762
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Documents Needed to Build Preamplifier

If you have purchased the PCBs and for some reason do not have the document collection needed to build, simply send me a private message and I will be sure to get those out to you.

Incidentally I have 4 built and tested main PCBs that I assembled as first articles to verify the integrity of PCB orders. Those are available for purchase. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Last edited by Carl_Huff; 4th May 2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added notice of built PCBs
Old 14th May 2017, 05:20 PM   #763
diyAudio Member

Default Doug Self Preamplifier - Legacy Look

I had a built v2 first article PCB that I wanted to put into an enclosure. I opted this time for a 'legacy look'. What do you think?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th May 2017, 05:24 PM   #764
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Very nice.......don't we get a look inside?....you know what we're like
Old 14th May 2017, 05:26 PM   #765
diyAudio Member

I just realized looking at the PICs that I posted...

I still have work to do inside the box and left the knobs 'lose' and as result they are all pointing off in crazy directions! Oh well, you get the idea.
Old 14th May 2017, 05:34 PM   #766
georgebrooke is offline georgebrooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 1976?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
I had a built v2 first article PCB that I wanted to put into an enclosure. I opted this time for a 'legacy look'. What do you think?
Hi Carl, well it looks amazingly like the Self Advanced Preamplifier of 1976 and which is still running underneath my desk!

I think the design looks great. I guess you mounted the volume control off the PCB and added a meter circuit. The original Self Advanced preamp had a similar pair of meters and a pair of leds to show clipping. See https://www.google.fr/search?q=1976+...wAVa9lVOz2tAM:

I think I would prefer to build your new version and donate my existing version to a son-in-law, who seems keen to try it out. Is there any matching documentation on meter circuitry, etc?

George
Old 14th May 2017, 06:27 PM   #767
diyAudio Member

George,

Those meters are Sifam AL29B Presenters. I happened to have them in my stash. I expect that I bought them some time ago for some long forgotten project. Modutec makes a similar product. Both show up regularly on EBay and can be bought thru dealers as well. They are both good products.

The VU meter driver is again something from my stash. What I have and will probably use in the finished build is a TEKRAM VU driver board off of EBay.

In my initial testing I took the audio signal from the IO board. My intent was to use the bouncing meters for entertainment rather than critical measurement.

Rod Elliott has a popular circuit on his page VU And PPM Audio Metering

I haven't written up anything special describing the circuit as it's not that complicated. However if enough people have an interest I could do that.

Last edited by Carl_Huff; 14th May 2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:39 PM   #768
diyAudio Member

Default VU Meters

Hi Carl,
I guess it would be ironic if I salvaged the meters and drivers from the 1976 Self preamp? But yours look nicer so I shall go that way. It is really nice to see a front panel with non-touch controls....simple, maintainable and readable.

Of course, as ever, the real challenge will be the front panel. How did you get the white scripting ...which looks very nice?

Here's a thought...for flexibility of front panels perhaps all of the pots should be mounted on a separate board, connected via flat cable to the mother board. The pots could not change relative to each other but as a group they would be easy to move around. Just a thought.

George
Old 14th May 2017, 06:42 PM   #769
diyAudio Member

Hmm ...

My wife gave me grief for posting those PICs with the 'crazy knobs'. So here are a few more but with the knobs tightened down.

Yea she's right, they do look better.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:45 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Default Yes

They're always right ;-)

George

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!