Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2016, 06:38 AM   #411
georgebrooke is offline georgebrooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Drilling Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
That would be great. Quite a bit more drilling than when I build my Pass BA-3 pre. Since it was point to point wiring things didn't have to line up perfectly!
I have built several projects without the aid of a template for FP/ BP work, unfortunately. If we can get a shared generic template for FP and BP work then we might just be starting a trend. After all, the front and rear panel design contribute massively to the WAF. I would ask any qualified participants to contribute what they can (to Jan Didden?) so as to store a "library" of possible designs.
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:13 AM   #412
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Even if you don't use the Front Panel Express service you can still use their software to lay out a panel. It offers all kinds of pre-defined hole and cut-out shapes and it is very easy to accurately position things. You can then print it out and use as a template. Make sure you have calibrated your printer for 1:1 output of course.

Jan
Old 3rd February 2016, 02:24 PM   #413
Andreas B is offline Andreas B  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Andreas B Send a message via AIM to Andreas B Send a message via Yahoo to Andreas B
Today ,i receive the kit.Thank you Carl

Regards
Andreas
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:47 PM   #414
sasha70 is offline sasha70  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you Carl, I have received the PCB and parts today.
Looking fantastic, already started to install parts.
Best regards.
Sasha.
Old 4th February 2016, 05:58 PM   #415
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Will they fit the PCBs?

Hello Builders,

Will Vishay Dale RN60 resistors fit these PCBs. They are mil-spec watt resistors, larger than the typical resistor. These are 0.344 +- 0.031 inches ~ 3/8 of an inch.

I have most required values in stock. Will they fit the PCBs?

Thanks
DT
Old 4th February 2016, 07:37 PM   #416
sasha70 is offline sasha70  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi DT,
Unfortunately Dale RN60 slightly to big, but Dale RN55D will fit.

Best regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3637.JPG (497.6 KB, 566 views)
Old 4th February 2016, 08:37 PM   #417
diyAudio Member

Smile Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha70 View Post
Hi DT,
Unfortunately Dale RN60 slightly to big, but Dale RN55D will fit.

Best regards.
That is good detailed information.

Thank You

DT
Old 5th February 2016, 11:40 AM   #418
vasillis is online now vasillis  Greece
diyAudio Member

receive today.
Old 5th February 2016, 08:48 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

Smile Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Even if you don't use the Front Panel Express service you can still use their software to lay out a panel. It offers all kinds of pre-defined hole and cut-out shapes and it is very easy to accurately position things. You can then print it out and use as a template. Make sure you have calibrated your printer for 1:1 output of course.

Jan

I have built quite a few things in my life. Sometimes it is frustrating getting all the prefabricated parts & pieces lined up parallel, all the faces in a line and all the screws or bolts lining up with the bolt holes.

For example, it is not only getting all the XLR hes and shes to fit the IO PCB drill pattern it is also getting those XLR plugs to mate up to the drill pattern of the rear plate at the same time. It is quite possible to solder all the IO plugs to the IO PCB and not have them fit the drill pattern of the rear panel. The PCB is precisely laid out and the rear panel is precisely laid out however there is some wiggle room when the devices are soldered one at a time to the PCB.

To avoid the oh s**t what do I do now moment, I think it might be a good idea loosely attach the components to a jig (drilled precisely as the rear panel is drilled) then carefully tease all the little legs into the drill pattern of the IO PCB. Once everything is where it wants to be snug up the fasteners then solder tack and anchor everything in place. No more tears and kicking the dog.

Thoughts?

DT
Old 5th February 2016, 09:16 PM   #420
Rick G is offline Rick G  United States
diyAudio Member

Could not agree more! ( from experience ) Unless you get Very Lucky...they Never align up properly.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!