Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

Hi Carl,

I just visited Kilo International website. Now that is what I call a quality operation.
Impressive..and a bit better than my "silver plated plastic" knobs from the People's Republic of China.

I agree. The KILO people will build custom knobs for you as well at what I think is a good price once you consider the work involved and the quality of their product.

Front Panel Express Project Files

Per my promise ...

Here are the Front Panel Express project files for faceplates for the described Doug Self Preamp.

You should note that you should find a single 1U project for the version 1 main PCB and two project files for the more recent version 2 PCBs. One of the v2 files is for a 1U chassis and the 2nd is for a 2U chassis that includes a pair of VU meters. All assume black faceplates. Natural aluminum faceplates can be realized by simply chnagin the ink file from white to black. That is easily done in the FPE editor that is available free online here: https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/downloads/front_panel_designer/

Please note that the only difference from v1 to v2 main PCBs is the spacing between the front panel knobs. The controls were spread further apart in v2 for aesthetic reasons.

The FPE project files that I describe can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd9n3g4ktr8l5mu/FRONT_PANEL_EXPRESS.zip?dl=0

Rear panel

Per my promise ...

Here are the Front Panel Express project files for faceplates for the described Doug Self Preamp.

You should note that you should find a single 1U project for the version 1 main PCB and two project files for the more recent version 2 PCBs. One of the v2 files is for a 1U chassis and the 2nd is for a 2U chassis that includes a pair of VU meters. All assume black faceplates. Natural aluminum faceplates can be realized by simply chnagin the ink file from white to black. That is easily done in the FPE editor that is available free online here: https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/downloads/front_panel_designer/

Please note that the only difference from v1 to v2 main PCBs is the spacing between the front panel knobs. The controls were spread further apart in v2 for aesthetic reasons.

The FPE project files that I describe can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd9n3g4ktr8l5mu/FRONT_PANEL_EXPRESS.zip?dl=0
Hi Carl,

was there a rear panel FPE file...for 1U or 2U cases?

5 input PCB panel layout.

Does anyone have the correct dimensions for the layout of the holes required to mount the 5 input pcb to a front / rear panel? I made a slighty modified earlier 2 input version and did the artwork using Front Panel Designer software. A dimensional drawing for the pots and equalizer switch for the pre-amp board would also be good so I can fine tune the one I made. Works very well driving a Quad 405-2 so it is worth putting the extra effort in.

Motoguzzler,
Here is my PDF file taken from my Front Panel Design file. Hope it helps.
If you can print it full bleed 11 X 17" the scale should be good. If you would like my FPD File, just e-mail me & i will send it to you,

Rick

Attachments

• My Rear Pnl_V1_2.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 200
Doug Self pre amp FPD

Thanks Rick and Ben, I am bringing controls and connections out on the front panel but just wanted to confirm spacings. Will see if we match up. I printed my version out from FPD and it seems to fit. I had noticed the PCB was laid out on an imperial grid size so knobs centres sit at 1.25, 1.25, 2.0, 1.25 and 1.75"spacings. Same for both versions of the connector pcb's. I will post a picture in gallery of prototype with 4 pin din out for Quad 405.

Should anyone be interested ...

I have a couple of built and tested version 1 Doug Self Preamp PCBs that I have up for sale. It was my habit to build and test a PCB as s 'first article proof' every time that I placed a PCB group buy order.

Also, I also have spare power supply PCBs that are handy for your audio projects. Message me if you are interested.

Completed LA5 Self Preamp V2

I am so happy with the performance of this preamp! :)

Attachments

• la5_self_preamp_v2.jpg
    la5_self_preamp_v2.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 577