Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2015, 04:50 PM   #211
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default IO Board Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
Hi Carl,
I can see from your photos that on the IO board, on the right side, there is a connector for a 15V supply and below this, to its left, is another connector which is shorted out. Also, the 15V connector appears to be unused. Is this correct or do these connectors have a purpose for some other setup?

George
Hello George,

I have made a revision to the IO board since the initial PICs that are in the first post of this thread. The right side of the PCB that you will receive looks like this ...

Click the image to open in full size.

The parts shown on the PIC with their values along with the 2 relays, form a 3 second 'delay ON' circuit. Increasing the capacitor size will increase the delay. A 100uF value will 'delay ON' for roughly 5 seconds. The power to the circuit comes in on the ribbon connector cable. The 12 volt regulator knocks down the incoming voltage to the needs of the delay circuit. The terminal block that I have shorted in the PIC is in series with the +V line that feeds that 12 volt regulator. Opening that line with a switch or external relay immediately mutes the preamplifier output.

The delay circuit and the output section that was not included in the Linear Audio article are detailed in the enhanced schematics are in the kit package. I will also be sending them to everyone as an email attachment.
Old 30th November 2015, 04:52 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Default Doug Self Preamplifier Kit - Supporting Documents

Hello all,

If you purchased a kit you should have received the following in your email ...

#1) A reprint of the Linear Audio article courtesy of Jan Didden and his Linear Audio magazine.

#2) A two sheet printable schematic of the project PCBs that you are receiving.

Note that the circuit as published in Linear Audio #5 did not include an output section or muted ON delay.
Those two items are not described in the Linear Article but are detailed this schematic

#3) BOM for the preamplifier.

#4) Power supply schematic as recommended by Doug Self.

The power supply was lifted from the pages of Doug's 'Small Signal Audio Design' 2nd edition page #712.

#5) BOM for the power supply.

Please let me know if you did not receive any of the above. Any addendum to any of these documents will be noted first in this thread.
Old 30th November 2015, 07:15 PM   #213
mik000000 is offline mik000000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Carl
project looks great. cant wait to get started and thanks for all your efforts.

I looked at the BOM and have a couple of questions.

i cant find the C1,,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser or digikey. you have it as MFR # K101J15COGF53L2

also, some of the item counts seem wrong although i have not checked them against the schematic
R2,4,4,6,28 shows as 4. Should be 5?
R42,45 shows as 1, should be 2?
R24,40 shows as 1, should be 2?
R41,44,49,50 shows as 3, should be 4?
R23,52,54,29 shows as 5, should be 4?
C1,3,42,43,44 shows as 4, should be 5?

thanks again for all your work
Mike
Old 30th November 2015, 07:40 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Default Addendum to DSelf Preamp BOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik000000 View Post
Carl
project looks great. cant wait to get started and thanks for all your efforts.

I looked at the BOM and have a couple of questions.

i cant find the C1,,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser or digikey. you have it as MFR # K101J15COGF53L2

also, some of the item counts seem wrong although i have not checked them against the schematic
R2,4,4,6,28 shows as 4. Should be 5?
R42,45 shows as 1, should be 2?
R24,40 shows as 1, should be 2?
R41,44,49,50 shows as 3, should be 4?
R23,52,54,29 shows as 5, should be 4?
C1,3,42,43,44 shows as 4, should be 5?

thanks again for all your work
Mike
Good catch Mike!

I expect that the bad numbers for the caps probably come off a bag off parts that I have that Mouser no longer sells. Here is a good alternative.

C1,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser WIMA #FKP2J001001D00KSSD & Mouser Part #505-FKP2100/630/10

An updated DSelf BOM can be found here. The bad parts counts have been revised as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AMP_BOM_01.xls
Old 30th November 2015, 07:48 PM   #215
Rick G is offline Rick G  United States
diyAudio Member

Just an FYI. Change the O to a 0(zero). i.e.: K101J1C0GF53L2 Works as it should. i got all the parts from mouser & Digikey using the BOM as supplied.

Rick
Old 30th November 2015, 07:55 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Just an FYI. Change the O to a 0(zero). i.e.: K101J1C0GF53L2 Works as it should. i got all the parts from mouser & Digikey using the BOM as supplied.
Rick
Aah ...
Evidence of my fat fingers at play! Great, either part works.
Old 30th November 2015, 08:29 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

Rick
you're faster than i am.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:04 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Default ** IMPORTANT NOTE **

Something just occurred to me that I need to point out as it is not immediately obvious ...

The BOM is for one channel. The Doug Self Preamplifier is a two channel device. On the PCB a part say C23, is marked on the PCB silkscreen as C23R and C23L. To populate the board you need to order 2 times the number of parts as shown in the BOM. Sorry for not pointing this out sooner.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:36 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Something just occurred to me that I need to point out as it is not immediately obvious ...

The BOM is for one channel. The Doug Self Preamplifier is a two channel device. On the PCB a part say C23, is marked on the PCB silkscreen as C23R and C23L. To populate the board you need to order 2 times the number of parts as shown in the BOM. Sorry for not pointing this out sooner.
i had not caught that. this does not apply to the LM4562 Op Amps? the 15 quantity on the BOM is for both channels?
Old 30th November 2015, 09:39 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik000000 View Post
i had not caught that. this does not apply to the LM4562 Op Amps? the 15 quantity on the BOM is for both channels?
Yup, you are correct.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!