Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2019, 12:33 PM   #1431
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice bk856er. Great job, and excellent detail and apparent build quality. I built the DS pre 2012 that was published in Elektor a few years back. I'm also using the 'blue PCB' PSU in another project.
Old 4th August 2019, 01:00 PM   #1432
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Seems a good option, especially when combined with FPE.

Jan
Old 4th August 2019, 08:35 PM   #1433
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Setup in my system today. All functions appear to be working correctly and it sounds good fed from the gamma-3 DAC via xlr.

My perception is that the "HI FREQ" far right pot functions in the opposite direction of the labeling. I read another report of this in the thread.

No glamour shots here - just a tower of DIY gear (excluding the 14 projects stacked in the garage, lol).

BK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1328.jpg (480.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 4th August 2019, 08:58 PM   #1434
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
Setup in my system today. All functions appear to be working correctly and it sounds good fed from the gamma-3 DAC via xlr.

My perception is that the "HI FREQ" far right pot functions in the opposite direction of the labeling. I read another report of this in the thread.

No glamour shots here - just a tower of DIY gear (excluding the 14 projects stacked in the garage, lol).

BK

Would you introduce these guys to us?
Old 4th August 2019, 09:19 PM   #1435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf View Post
Would you introduce these guys to us?
DIY gear? On top is a Whammy setup as a preamp, B1 Korg preamp, AMB Gamma-3 DAC and PS, and of course the newest addition the Self/Huff preamp on top of the Oppo. The big DIY amps mostly out of vew are FW M2 and FW VFET. Speakers are SEAS A26. For casual listening I stream a lot of USB digital from the dedicated MacBook Air out to the Gamma-3. Turntable is a Technics 1210GR with AT 740ML MM cartridge and setup on a very solid 15" Rythmik subwoofer (disconnected a long time ago, strictly 2ch now, makes a great table @ 100+ pounds!).

BK

Last edited by bk856er; 4th August 2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 6th August 2019, 02:10 AM   #1436
diyAudio Member

Playing tonight and Dire Straits never sounded so good!

Thanks Carl and team for the wonderful project.

BK
Old 6th August 2019, 03:04 AM   #1437
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
Playing tonight and Dire Straits never sounded so good!

Thanks Carl and team for the wonderful project.

BK
You are welcome! So glad that you had a successful build.
Old 6th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #1438
xbitwise is offline xbitwise  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Everyone,

It looks like very interesting project. Are PCBs still available or am I too late?

Best regards,

bitwise
Old 6th August 2019, 05:57 PM   #1439
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbitwise View Post
Hi Everyone,

It looks like very interesting project. Are PCBs still available or am I too late?

Best regards,

bitwise
Please check your private messages. I just sent you one.
Old 8th August 2019, 02:04 PM   #1440
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

One basic question to Carl specifically (because he designed the I/O board), and others:

Is it necessary for the designer to decide that inputs 1 and 2 will be balanced, 3 and 4 will be unbalanced, at the time of design? Can't all analog inputs have both balanced and unbalanced sockets, for an amp which has balanced input circuitry? (I understand that this will mean that the relay count will increase, because you'll have to make provisions for double the number of signal lines even for those inputs which the user may have never decided to use balanced.)

But from the point of view of audio quality and just PCB design, is there a problem if we do this? I am seeing a lot of good commercial products which seem to provide both types of connectors on the same inputs, and I'm pretty sure there are no sensors or switches internally which, say, re-route any signal depending on the plug you connect.

Last edited by tcpip; 8th August 2019 at 02:24 PM.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!