Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2019, 05:29 AM   #1341
Hicoco is offline Hicoco  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf View Post
The NE limit is +-22V. +-15..20V is standard.
That is true, but the problem is that i have +-30Vdc after the rectifiers because of 240Vac here in France and 22Vac at the output of the Transformer for 18Vac with the AMGIS L01-6364.
Carl what do you thing? do you know an equivalent to the NE5534 for 30Vdc and Plus or you do you have an other option?
Old 14th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #1342
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicoco View Post
That is true, but the problem is that i have +-30Vdc after the rectifiers because of 240Vac here in France and 22Vac at the output of the Transformer for 18Vac with the AMGIS L01-6364.
Carl what do you thing? do you know an equivalent to the NE5534 for 30Vdc and Plus or you do you have an other option?
Yea, that voltage is much too high. I had thought France had 220v mains. 240v is a surprise to me! Your simplest path would be to swap out the transformer for a lower voltage equivalent. The AMGIS L01-6363 at 15v secondaries or better yet the AMGIS L01-6362 at 12v secondaries would drop in and drop your voltage to the proper levels.
Old 14th June 2019, 06:54 AM   #1343
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

230V is used in France. With +-10%. --> 253V. Watch out!
Old 14th June 2019, 07:22 AM   #1344
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Yea, that voltage is much too high. I had thought France had 220v mains. 240v is a surprise to me! Your simplest path would be to swap out the transformer for a lower voltage equivalent. The AMGIS L01-6363 at 15v secondaries or better yet the AMGIS L01-6362 at 12v secondaries would drop in and drop your voltage to the proper levels.
I agree with Carl. You can swap the opamp with a higher voltage one but performance will suffer.

Jan
Old 14th June 2019, 05:35 PM   #1345
J.M.K is offline J.M.K  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi!
I'm on France too, and was faced with the same issue.
Plus the fact that AC is sometimes very unstable and can jigg from 220 to 260 V in an instant.
Just build another power supply and shoot for 15V.
I also have it in a separate enclosure. and much lower ground noise by the way....
No issue for 4 years, wonderful music.

JM

Last edited by J.M.K; 14th June 2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 17th June 2019, 06:07 PM   #1346
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

I really look forward to building this preamp. I'll deviate slightly from the BOM and use NP green UES electrolytics only at C2/4 and C45/46. Everywhere else will get Silmic-II. Dale RN55 resistors throughout, my usual go-to part. I've had a bunch of productive email exchanges with Carl. Any builder recommendations and tips appreciated!

BK
Old 19th June 2019, 08:59 AM   #1347
Hicoco is offline Hicoco  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Thanks, with everything connected i have 21.5VAC at secondary and 27.3VCC after the rectifiers for 241VAC at primary
If i do the math with a 12VAC transformer, i should have 20VCC after the rectifiers.
I am surprise that anybody else have this problem..because with a 18Vac at secondary you should have around 23/24VCC after rectifiers, that is to much for the NE5534 !!!!!
Old 19th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #1348
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, with everything connected i have 21.5VAC at secondary and 27.3VCC after the rectifiers for 241VAC at primary
If i do the math with a 12VAC transformer, i should have 20VCC after the rectifiers.
I am surprise that anybody else have this problem..because with a 18Vac at secondary you should have around 23/24VCC after rectifiers, that is to much for the NE5534 !!!!!
I find this conversation puzzling. Surely the voltage after the rectifiers is being applied to the voltage regulators, not the opamps.

You are using a regulated supply, I assume?
Old 19th June 2019, 04:20 PM   #1349
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
I find this conversation puzzling. Surely the voltage after the rectifiers is being applied to the voltage regulators, not the opamps.

You are using a regulated supply, I assume?
I think he's referring to the op amps in Carl's series regulator supply.
Old 19th June 2019, 04:22 PM   #1350
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the op amps are powered rail to ground. NE5534 is rated for maximum 44V V+ to V-.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!