Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

The enclosure is the part that causes me the greatest trouble. Recently I have been gutting dead audio equipment and shoehorning my boards and PS into them. It has worked out well but it will not for the preamp because of the specific location of the pots and other pcb-mounted devices.
Anyway, I have collected a set of websites of companies that look like they

George
i like your recycling option. my only observation is there is nothing to stop us from wiring the pots instead of mounting direct to the board.

Hi,
yes that is an option. In fact I am pretty sure that I found a US firm that sells small PCBs for the pots and flat wire to a header that plugs into the pcb where the pot would have gone. That's is another (fall back) option. I prefer to keep the wiring to a minimum if possible.

Link

what is the link for the pcb?

i am looking at
New Lite MV04 Remote Preamp Board Volume Control Input Selector | eBay

for volume control and input selector

That looks nice.. it would be a good feature for this preamp. It should not be too hard to integrate.
Re. the links ... naturally I have lost the original, but I found the following:
The ε27 volume control potentiometer mounting board
ALPS potentiometer board

Neither of these are what I remember but thy give the general idea.

George

That looks nice.. it would be a good feature for this preamp. It should not be too hard to integrate.
Re. the links ... naturally I have lost the original, but I found the following:
The ε27 volume control potentiometer mounting board
ALPS potentiometer board

Neither of these are what I remember but thy give the general idea.

George
Here's another, similar option too. I bought a few of these to have around for current and future projects, and they seem to work as expected. You can use any of 3 popular pot sizes from Asia and found in many, many audio kits. Makes for easily moving pots off the PCB when you need to deal with mechanical limitations of an enclosure. Cheap too! :)

Rick

Multiple IO

I have been getting requests for an IO board with switched IO. How does this look? It's 5 (stereo pairs) x 1. Two inputs are balanced and 3 are RCA phono unbalanced. The smaller board is the front panel. The switch is a stock Lorlin. I could supply the PCB with the 2 required RCA blocks for $20 plus cost to ship. The balance of parts could be bought from Mouser. Anyone interested?

SWITCHED_5_IO_00.jpg
SWITCHED_5_IO_00c.jpg

The new IO board is similar width of the main PCB. The front panel IO switch is shown here enlarged. It is designed to fit within a 1U chassis.

Hi Guys,

I almost have my boards finished. Just waiting on some parts. I wanted to build a PSU while I was waiting. I drew a layout in Sprint by sort of following my ESP board but using most of the circuit from the Self PSU. It puts out +-16.66vac with a 100 ohm load to simulate 170mA load. Takes 17Vac input to get hold the 16.6v. Anything more doesn't change it. I'm attaching pics. Let me know what you think.

As you can see, I used 4 2200uF caps with a 10R resistor for a CRC front ala ESP. I didn't have any 3300uF cap on hand.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• PSU for DSelf pre.JPG
    PSU for DSelf pre.JPG
    634.3 KB · Views: 740
  • PSU for DSelf preamp.JPG
    PSU for DSelf preamp.JPG
    761.6 KB · Views: 735
  • PSU for DSelf pre boards.jpg
    PSU for DSelf pre boards.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 711
  • PSU for DSelf pre tested.jpg
    PSU for DSelf pre tested.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 686
  • PSU for DSelf pre populated.jpg
    PSU for DSelf pre populated.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 691
Hi,
I wanted to implement the volume control (not the selector) via remote control. However, as you may have noticed the volume pot is a 5K linear. The smallest motorised pot that is available from Alps (for example) is 10K. Of course the 10k pot could be used but with some db increase in noise and that would be a pity given the aim of building a very high quality device. So I had the idea that a quad pot of 10K could be used with the pairs connected in parallel. This gives a load of 5K as required and allows the automation that I required. Doug Self seems to think this idea is a goer so I freely share it and ask if anyone can see a problem, apart from cost, with this idea.

Hi,
I wanted to implement the volume control (not the selector) via remote control. However, as you may have noticed the volume pot is a 5K linear. The smallest motorised pot that is available from Alps (for example) is 10K. Of course the 10k pot could be used but with some db increase in noise and that would be a pity given the aim of building a very high quality device. So I had the idea that a quad pot of 10K could be used with the pairs connected in parallel. This gives a load of 5K as required and allows the automation that I required. Doug Self seems to think this idea is a goer so I freely share it and ask if anyone can see a problem, apart from cost, with this idea.

I have been recently looking for a quad pot not motorized and failed to find any serious enough available in Europe.

Last edited: