Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2019, 10:37 PM   #1281
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm View Post
Santa brought me a new CNC machining center for Christmas and I'm finally starting to figure out how to use it. My new chassis is starting to take shape!

Looking good Jeff!

Santa was very kind to you. Are you gonna try your hand at ink filled engraving?
Old 19th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #1282
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Looking good Jeff!

Santa was very kind to you. Are you gonna try your hand at ink filled engraving?
I'm not sure what I want to do yet but I was thinking of mirror polish, then anodize black, then just engrave. Other than the fingerprints it looks good.
Old 20th March 2019, 05:43 AM   #1283
DoubleIPA is offline DoubleIPA  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm View Post
Santa brought me a new CNC machining center for Christmas and I'm finally starting to figure out how to use it. My new chassis is starting to take shape!
Nice!
Old 20th March 2019, 09:50 PM   #1284
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Do the bipolars used in the signal path have a limited lifespan?
Old 21st March 2019, 04:58 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Do the bipolars used in the signal path have a limited lifespan?
Scott,

I have never heard of any such complaints. Perhaps others have a different experience. Most parts are made with improved processes that are simply too new to have such an experience. In any case I fully expect them to outlast me.
Old 21st March 2019, 05:03 PM   #1286
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

It's not a complaint. I was just wondering if degradation of the oxide layer is a "thing" like with polarised electrolytics, admittedly probably only those used in PSU's. I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, so I'm presuming not, but thought I might ask here.
Old 21st March 2019, 05:14 PM   #1287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
It's not a complaint. I was just wondering if degradation of the oxide layer is a "thing" like with polarised electrolytics, admittedly probably only those used in PSU's. I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, so I'm presuming not, but thought I might ask here.
It's always good to ask. I have noticed that I seem to blow up fewer parts these days than what I did 20 years ago. There is very little evidence that I am any smarter. I suspect the parts in question are better built and can survive more of my abuse.
Old 21st March 2019, 05:53 PM   #1288
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

You are probably more thoughtful and not as much shooting from the hip ;-)
That must be it.

Jan
Old 30th March 2019, 04:14 PM   #1289
Hicoco is offline Hicoco  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Carl,
I use polarized electrolytic cap as recommended by Doug Self. i have 35V Elna Silmic II. C14 on your Schematic and PCB is reversed for same C14 in Linear Audio Vol 5 article page 150. Could you confirm that the schematic in Linear Audio Vol 5 article is the one that is correct? if yes i have to reverse C14 on your PCB. Thank
Attached Images
File Type: png C14 Doug Self schematic.png (44.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: png C14 Doug Self.png (70.7 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Hicoco; 30th March 2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 30th March 2019, 05:10 PM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicoco View Post
Hi Carl,
I use polarized electrolytic cap as recommended by Doug Self. i have 35V Elna Silmic II. C14 on your Schematic and PCB is reversed for same C14 in Linear Audio Vol 5 article page 150. Could you confirm that the schematic in Linear Audio Vol 5 article is the one that is correct? if yes i have to reverse C14 on your PCB. Thank
That's a really good question that has not been asked before! Orientation didn't matter with the caps that I used, but ...

if you are building with polarized Silmics, I would follow the direction as published in the Linear Audio article.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!