Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

The PCBs for this project have been sent off to be fabbed.

I will have a few extra PCBs for late comers, altho just a few.

** Expect delivery to be mid to late November **

>>> ------- PAID --------- <<<

georgebrooke - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
Halauhula - 1 kit - PAID
jan.didden - 1 kit - PAID
hfxrzw - 2 kits + 2 PWR_Supply_PCBs - PAID
PJN - 1 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
still4given - 1 kit - PAID
GlennW - 1 kit - PAID
zrxshack - 1 kit + 3 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
rock12 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
Somakmaitra - 1 kit - PAID
mik000000 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
AMV8 - 2 kits - PAID
arthur - 2 kits + 2 PWR_Supply_PCBs - PAID
Badge - 1 kit - PAID
OZAM - 2 kits + 2 PWR_Supply_PCBs - PAID
emyeuoi - 1 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCBs - PAID
misterdog - 1 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCBs - PAID
Ian Finch - 1 kit - PAID
Rick G - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
forr - 1 kit - PAID
djonessii - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
TFW - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
Mraudionut - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
BillS - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
herb1diaz - 2 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
AMPMAN - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
mlackey - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
bfg4wd - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
vasillis - 2 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
kimon - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
smurfer77 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
dennismiller55 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
markus22ch - 2 kit + 2 PWR_Supply_PCB
canute - 1 kit - PAID
raymondo - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
Philipp23 - 1 kit + 1 PWR_Supply_PCB - PAID
orjan - 1 kit - PAID
wize1 - 1 kit - PAID

>>> --- PENDING --- <<<

kiroje - 1 kit
MosfetDemon - 1 kit
Johnny2Bad - 1 kit

If you have asked to be added to the list but don't see your name ...

If you have paid and I failed to show that or if I have messed up the description of what you ordered let me know!

Hello all,

George Brooke being the diligent sole that he is has improved the Power Supply BOM, saving all of you from some of my bad habits. Thank you George!

The revised Power Supply BOM is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33294265/DSELF_PWR_SUPPLY_BOM_01.xls

Hi Carl and George, I entered the BOM in the Mouser BOM menu (American site), but it came back with various SKU or part numbers not recognised (transformer and voltage regulators, all part with the -ND name amongst others). Any idea why? Thanks, Rene

Hi Carl and George, I entered the BOM in the Mouser BOM menu (American site), but it came back with various SKU or part numbers not recognised (transformer and voltage regulators, all part with the -ND name amongst others). Any idea why? Thanks, Rene

That's because the parts with the '-ND' suffix are from Digikey and not Mouser. The 'Vendor' column of each part tells where it is from.

DSelf Preamp Power Supply

Here are a couple of PICs of the power supply for the project. As mentioned previously this is the power supply suggested by Doug Self earlier in the thread.

** PLEASE NOTE: This power supply is intended for use with 115 AC volt mains

PIC_DSELF_PWR_SUPPLY.jpg

PIC_DSELF_00.jpg

** SHIPPING DAY **

Enough parts have arrived to ship the first 30 kits. The remaining parts are due in this week. I expect to ship the remaining kits in one week. I will be shipping in the order of payment received. The first 30 go Prioroty Mail in the morning (Saturday the 28th).

Here is a close-up of the IO board. There is a 3 second 'turn ON' mute and a terminal for remote control (standby??) of the muting.

PIC_DSELF_IO.jpg

Here is a PIC of the first article. It is under power and I am listening to it as write this. The entire project will fit neatly into a 1U rack cabinet.

PIC_DSELF_ALL.jpg

I have 4 kits left. I expect those to go quickly! Let me know immediately if you want one.

Those that are receiving kits will get an email from me over the weekend that will contain ...

#1) a PDF of the Linear Audio article
#2) a detailed project schematic and ...
#3) a project BOM.

IO Board Detail

Hi Carl,
I can see from your photos that on the IO board, on the right side, there is a connector for a 15V supply and below this, to its left, is another connector which is shorted out. Also, the 15V connector appears to be unused. Is this correct or do these connectors have a purpose for some other setup?

George

Hello George,

I have made a revision to the IO board since the initial PICs that are in the first post of this thread. The right side of the PCB that you will receive looks like this ...

IO_DELAY_00.jpg

The parts shown on the PIC with their values along with the 2 relays, form a 3 second 'delay ON' circuit. Increasing the capacitor size will increase the delay. A 100uF value will 'delay ON' for roughly 5 seconds. The power to the circuit comes in on the ribbon connector cable. The 12 volt regulator knocks down the incoming voltage to the needs of the delay circuit. The terminal block that I have shorted in the PIC is in series with the +V line that feeds that 12 volt regulator. Opening that line with a switch or external relay immediately mutes the preamplifier output.

The delay circuit and the output section that was not included in the Linear Audio article are detailed in the enhanced schematics are in the kit package. I will also be sending them to everyone as an email attachment.

Doug Self Preamplifier Kit - Supporting Documents

Hello all,

If you purchased a kit you should have received the following in your email ...

#1) A reprint of the Linear Audio article courtesy of Jan Didden and his Linear Audio magazine.

#2) A two sheet printable schematic of the project PCBs that you are receiving.

Note that the circuit as published in Linear Audio #5 did not include an output section or muted ON delay.
Those two items are not described in the Linear Article but are detailed this schematic

#3) BOM for the preamplifier.

#4) Power supply schematic as recommended by Doug Self.

The power supply was lifted from the pages of Doug's 'Small Signal Audio Design' 2nd edition page #712.

#5) BOM for the power supply.

Please let me know if you did not receive any of the above. Any addendum to any of these documents will be noted first in this thread.

Carl
project looks great. cant wait to get started and thanks for all your efforts.

I looked at the BOM and have a couple of questions.

i cant find the C1,,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser or digikey. you have it as MFR # K101J15COGF53L2

also, some of the item counts seem wrong although i have not checked them against the schematic
R2,4,4,6,28 shows as 4. Should be 5?
R42,45 shows as 1, should be 2?
R24,40 shows as 1, should be 2?
R41,44,49,50 shows as 3, should be 4?
R23,52,54,29 shows as 5, should be 4?
C1,3,42,43,44 shows as 4, should be 5?

thanks again for all your work
Mike

Addendum to DSelf Preamp BOM

Carl
project looks great. cant wait to get started and thanks for all your efforts.

I looked at the BOM and have a couple of questions.

i cant find the C1,,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser or digikey. you have it as MFR # K101J15COGF53L2

also, some of the item counts seem wrong although i have not checked them against the schematic
R2,4,4,6,28 shows as 4. Should be 5?
R42,45 shows as 1, should be 2?
R24,40 shows as 1, should be 2?
R41,44,49,50 shows as 3, should be 4?
R23,52,54,29 shows as 5, should be 4?
C1,3,42,43,44 shows as 4, should be 5?

thanks again for all your work
Mike

Good catch Mike!

I expect that the bad numbers for the caps probably come off a bag off parts that I have that Mouser no longer sells. Here is a good alternative.

C1,3,42,43,44 part at Mouser WIMA #FKP2J001001D00KSSD & Mouser Part #505-FKP2100/630/10

An updated DSelf BOM can be found here. The bad parts counts have been revised as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33294265/DSELF_PREAMP_BOM_01.xls

** IMPORTANT NOTE **

Something just occurred to me that I need to point out as it is not immediately obvious ...

The BOM is for one channel. The Doug Self Preamplifier is a two channel device. On the PCB a part say C23, is marked on the PCB silkscreen as C23R and C23L. To populate the board you need to order 2 times the number of parts as shown in the BOM. Sorry for not pointing this out sooner.

Something just occurred to me that I need to point out as it is not immediately obvious ...

The BOM is for one channel. The Doug Self Preamplifier is a two channel device. On the PCB a part say C23, is marked on the PCB silkscreen as C23R and C23L. To populate the board you need to order 2 times the number of parts as shown in the BOM. Sorry for not pointing this out sooner.

i had not caught that. this does not apply to the LM4562 Op Amps? the 15 quantity on the BOM is for both channels?