BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)

@jan.didden

Thank you for your answer. I received the BPPBP board last week, and now need to decide which power supply and potentionmeter to use for this project.

Today, I find a schematic for one PSU, which was called GRLV and developed by Kevin Gilmore based on Walt Jung's design.
I would be very grateful if someone with deep knowledge like you could comment some opinion about it

folder.jpg

This design deserves the price for putting the maximum amount of components into a PS.
It will work without a doubt, but a Jung-Didden PS or a silent switcher will be at least as good.

Hans

Built this great preamp, but the actual volume control occurs in a very small radius of the pot. The standard pot as per BOM seem to have a large amount of channel mismatch, also.

What are my options for having a wider range of volume control with equal attention (I know it doesn't actually attenuate the audio signal)?

Built this great preamp, but the actual volume control occurs in a very small radius of the pot. The standard pot as per BOM seem to have a large amount of channel mismatch, also.

What are my options for having a wider range of volume control with equal attention (I know it doesn't actually attenuate the audio signal)?

If you can track down one of Han's Volume Control boards, I have modified DimDim's LaScala relay attenuator code to utilize it with an Arduino Nano(any Arduino really). It has 64 x 1db steps. Volume matching only limited by the tolerance of the resistors, and how much time you want to spend matching them..

If you can track down one of Han's Volume Control boards, I have modified DimDim's LaScala relay attenuator code to utilize it with an Arduino Nano(any Arduino really). It has 64 x 1db steps. Volume matching only limited by the tolerance of the resistors, and how much time you want to spend matching them..
Now that's more like it. Any of Han's boards still available?

I have a few of his Input controller boards too. Still working out the details on getting them working with the arduino. I'm having issues with the rotary encoder pushbutton code, to control everything via one control. I may just go back to using a selector switch and an I2C chip..

There are 2 versions for the volume control board

1) manually controlled by a rotary encoder, giving 16 steps of 2 dB each
2) a remote controlled version giving 32 steps of 1 dB.
For this second version there is also an input extension board increasing the number of inputs to 4 and also providing a tape-out connector.

I have no PCB's, but the Gerbers are freely available and can be used to produce as many copies as you like.

Hans

There are 2 versions for the volume control board

1) manually controlled by a rotary encoder, giving 16 steps of 2 dB each
2) a remote controlled version giving 32 steps of 1 dB.
For this second version there is also an input extension board increasing the number of inputs to 4 and also providing a tape-out connector.

I have no PCB's, but the Gerbers are freely available and can be used to produce as many copies as you like.

Hans

Hey Hans, The remote version has 6 relays which should give 64 steps right?