Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2019, 03:38 PM   #811
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think the power supply requirement is in the article, and iirc +/-22V at 1A is more than enough. But check to be sure; +/-22V may actually be a bit high for dissipation in the local regulators, depending on which ones you use.

Jan
Old 17th July 2019, 04:22 PM   #812
La 67 is offline La 67  Spain
diyAudio Member

Thank you Jan.

I did read the article but only found reference to the Hypex regulators. I plan to use them in my build.
Old 17th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #813
diyAudio Member

Probably need to check the max dissipation on the Hypex data sheet. If you have 22V in, 12 volts out, and say 100mA current draw, your dissipation V*I for those regs is (22-12)*0.1=1W.

If that is too high, you can for instance put a 4.7V zener in series with the reg input to absorb some voltage, and with that part of the dissipation (which now is in the zener of course).

Jan
Old 17th July 2019, 05:16 PM   #814
diyAudio Member

LMGTFY.

DIYclassd.com

1W is just on the edge. I wouldn't live there.

Jan
Old 17th July 2019, 05:18 PM   #815
diyAudio Member

Or use one of my SilentSwitchers, mains free, can run from a USB charger/port or a Powerbank.

Overall cheaper even I think compared to 2 Hypex regs and the primary supply.

Jan
Old 17th July 2019, 05:56 PM   #816
trung224 is offline trung224
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,
How does your SilentSwitchers compare to Jung/Didden Regulator in terms of noise and output impedance?

Could I use 6,6V battery with it to create +- 12V for this preamp?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th July 2019, 06:18 PM   #817
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
It was a noticeable improvement feeding +/- 15dc straight to the caps after the rectifier vs ac.
Old 17th July 2019, 07:10 PM   #818
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trung224 View Post
Hi Jan,
How does your SilentSwitchers compare to Jung/Didden Regulator in terms of noise and output impedance?

Could I use 6,6V battery with it to create +- 12V for this preamp?

Thanks in advance.
Yes 6.6 input works fine. Max current at +/-15 is 150mA, at +/-12 about 180. Should be enough for Bruno's preamp.

Quality is very close to superreg, probably bit lower noise, bit higher Zout. But all the numbers are very low anyway.

Jan
Old 17th July 2019, 07:40 PM   #819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
It was a noticeable improvement feeding +/- 15dc straight to the caps after the rectifier vs ac.
I could imagine that as it could reduce the pulse current of diode, when switching, to ground of signal path.

What regulator do you use in your BPPBP?

Last edited by trung224; 17th July 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 17th July 2019, 09:19 PM   #820
diyAudio Member

@jan.didden

Thank you for your answer. I received the BPPBP board last week, and now need to decide which power supply and potentionmeter to use for this project.

Today, I find a schematic for one PSU, which was called GRLV and developed by Kevin Gilmore based on Walt Jung's design.
I would be very grateful if someone with deep knowledge like you could comment some opinion about it

Click the image to open in full size.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)Hide this!Advertise here!