Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2018, 09:06 AM   #741
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And my 6 input back-panel for Quad FM4 cases should arrive today too! Only 2 years since I got my bpbbp parts..
Old 15th November 2018, 09:41 PM   #742
diyAudio Member

Yay! Back panel for the 6- input board looks good!

Boo! Somehow I managed to make a mistake and added an extra 2mm between two of the XLR holes.

Still fits, just with a small bend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181115_1952515.jpg (216.5 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181115_1953550~2.jpg (189.6 KB, 439 views)
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:07 AM   #743
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
Quick question for you gents.

My BPBP worked fine on a +/-/0v 15 volt feed, then I cased it all up and now the positive reg doesn't light up with the same dc feed, but it works fine on a +12/0v-12v a.c. feed.

Any suggestions before I crack her open. All connection via same 3 pin terminal block. I've tried all possible dc+12v input options on that 3 pin block and none work.

I'd think a fried rectifier but they must work as they rectify the a.c....

Weird huh.
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:35 AM   #744
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
a +/-/0v 15 ... +12/0v-12v a.c. feed.
Is the different order on the above voltage series just sloppy writing or is that really different? If the latter, that may explain it maybe?

Jan
Old 22nd December 2018, 09:28 PM   #745
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
Just sloppy writing,I've actually tried plus and minus 15 dc on either side. Only the negative reg ever powers up on dc. On a.c. they both work.
Old 31st December 2018, 05:19 PM   #746
maartn is offline maartn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartn View Post
I am using the BOM linked on this page
One more caveat with this BOM: after ordering from Mouser I found that some of the caps are larger than intended (see pic). I must have missed something, but the part numbers are the same or very similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2873.jpg (662.7 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by maartn; 31st December 2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 1st January 2019, 09:55 AM   #747
diyAudio Member

Eh, those aren't the parts from the bom we all used. Who's bom was it?

Smart move with the reg mounting, wish I'd thought of that.
Old 1st January 2019, 02:43 PM   #748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartn View Post
One more caveat with this BOM: after ordering from Mouser I found that some of the caps are larger than intended (see pic). I must have missed something, but the part numbers are the same or very similar.
Ah... Unfortunately, one always needs to check through the thread to double check no problems with the BOM. A shame it wasn't updated!

When I ordered my parts (I used the list and recommendations in the original thread), I also double checked the size and pitch before ordering.. There was a problem with the original BOM too I seem to remember but people's own discoveries warned future DIYers.. Picking out capacitors can be a real pain when you have to juggle so many paramaters! Always puts me off ordering parts.

Here is a correction to it: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 3, Page 17

Last edited by NATDBERG; 1st January 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 1st January 2019, 02:49 PM   #749
diyAudio Member

Nat, enlarge those holes or redo the back panel, that tension in the back panel pcb is trouble down the line.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:38 PM   #750
maartn is offline maartn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Eh, those aren't the parts from the bom we all used. Who's bom was it?
For the record: I used the BOM linked on the first page of GB3, hoping it had been updated... But NATDBERG is right, I should have read down the thread. Hopefully the final parts (MILF resistors on back order) will arrive this week and I'll be able to finish the thing and test it.

Last edited by maartn; 1st January 2019 at 07:41 PM.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)Hide this!Advertise here!