BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)

for the avoidance of doubt: "left" when looked at from the rear of the Controller i.e. the ones marked SST, SPK and STD - yes?

Red wire is on the right on both PCB's. The three blue Maya wires on the left are not used.

Maya_BPBP.jpg

hypex-preamp-Bom.pdf - I can't remember where I downloaded this document from, but I'm sure it was from this thread or one of the group buy threads. It lists the capacitors like this:

C10, C16, C26, C27, C28, C29 C12, C13, C14, C15 - Electrolytic Capacitors ‐ Leaded 22uF 100V 20% Audio SILMIC II Aluminium Electrolytic

and

C12, C13, C14, C15 - Capacitors ‐ Leaded 1000uF 25V 20% Audio SILMIC II

I ordered these from Mouser, and they are all very large, and don't really fit the board. I've made them fit by "flying" them above the adjacent relays, and hanging them from the edge of the PCB, and leaning the regulators over at a crazy angle. It's all connected, but its far from pretty.

So, when ordering the capacitors, check the physical sizes carefully.

Yes. And there was similar with the choice of and resistors if using a completely unpopulated board. Emyeuoi first mentioned it I think so I was carefully to check the caps people had actually used rather than those on BOM..

BPPBP case

I went with the DIY store case, 1U Galaxy w/steel covers. Like you I don't like drilling close holes. Someone on the forum had a DXF drill pattern. I took it into FPD and added my IEC cutout.
The CNC and lettering basically doubled the cost, but made life so much easier.

Attachments

• bp2.jpg
    bp2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 855
  • bp1.jpg
    bp1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 849
  • putzeys back - rename to fpd.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 114
Here is my take on the BPPBP. I have taken the minimalist view, just all I need. Case from the DIY Audio shop.
I have been listening through it for the past few days, audio files are .flacs and the amp is a Pass diy F4. Dead quiet, very neutral to my ears, sparkling highs. My other preamps are a Pass diy BA3 and Doug Self opamp pre.
I am happy to add this BPPBP to my collection. Thank you Bruno and the other folks that brought it to fruition.
David

How does it compare to the BA3 would you say?

To my ears the BA3/F4 combination is more tube like, probably due to the ability to tune the second and third harmonics to taste. Seems more warm than the BPPBP. This to my ears is not bad, the BPPBP /F4 combo is very clean.
I have just paired the BPPBP with my Pass F6 with a Mitsubishi DA-F20 tuner. To my ears this is a winner for me listening on FM. Haven't tried it with another signal source yet.
This is a bit from the fmtunerinfo site regarding one reviewers thoughts on the DA-F20,The Mitsubishi's midrange was very focused and believable. In comparison, the sound was a step more forward. It definitely kept me interested in the music. The DA-F20's highs were more extended while still sounding like a real part of the music. Stereo imaging was precise. The midrange seemed just right with a nice open quality. Everything seemed just about right, to such a point that I gave up looking for flaws between the two. It was seductive in a toe-tapping, not sleepy, sort of way.
So to my ears this is a win win.

Hi Hans and others

I am planning to design my own board based on Bruno's and Hans' designs; I need my own board to meet certain form factor. I have decided to go for relay stepped attenuator with external control lines and possibility for microcontroller.

Do you still recommend using the same relay-resistor scheme as have been published by Hans, or would you change something for a new design (that does not need to be compatible with the existing BP board)? I have browsed through the thread and debates regarding various forms of volume control but understood most still prefer stepped attenuator inside the feedback loop.

Any other modifications you would do? Someone in the beginning of the thread mentioned Whitlock's bootstrapping that is now patent-free but I did not see it mentioned later on.

Edit: I found the remote control thread only now. So I assume the latest stepped attenuator version is this 6-relay version on that thread.?

Last edited:
How feasible is it to run a BPPBP as an output stage for a DAC in terms of gain/distortion and impedance matching? Am just thinking about whether to use two in a system to create a balance output for a DAC to bypass it's single ended output stage which would then go to a fully featured BPPBP preamp anyway.

Sorry, I should rephrase that..

Differential output, not balanced! Would effectively just be acting as a replacement for the original output stage (a commercial dac that had a balanced option and therefore blanks over the XLR socket holes) so that it could still interface ok with any other regular system.

Selling my BPBP .....

Hi !

I finally decided to stay with my Douglas Self Linear audio #5 preamp for it's
balance and tone control.

I built my BPBP a few months ago (group buy 3), it has its Hypex regulators,
and working fine.

Not boxed. That's all that will be left for you to do !

Excellent power supply (+/- 15V regulated), with toroid transfo also for sale, with the BPBP or separately.

Please PM me if interested.
Price: board and parts ........ I'll have to check for this.

JM

Hi !

I finally decided to stay with my Douglas Self Linear audio #5 preamp for it's
balance and tone control.

I built my BPBP a few months ago (group buy 3), it has its Hypex regulators,
and working fine.

Not boxed. That's all that will be left for you to do !

Excellent power supply (+/- 15V regulated), with toroid transfo also for sale, with the BPBP or separately.

Please PM me if interested.
Price: board and parts ........ I'll have to check for this.

JM

I finally gathered all the invoices.
BPBP with hypex reg, Mouser parts etc : 140 Euros + shipment
Regulated PSU (230/240V toroid xfo) +/- 15V : 30 Euros + shipment
ALPS RK40312 10K linear pot (never used) : 55 Euros + shipment

JM

Hi all
In some earlier posts I noticed someone asking for a simple way to drive the 6-bit Hans relay volume.

I think this could be an easy and user friendly way to do it:

Two 74LS90 BCD up/down counters, clocked by a 555 circuit, driving two 74LS47 that in turn drive two 7-segment displays.

The BCD output from the two 74LS90 is then converted to binary by a 74LS184 controlling the relays in Hans circuit.

The 555 circuit could even be speed adjustable, so you can get fast to the volume setting you want.

Any comments?:p