Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Two balanced line receivers (switched) at one balanced input
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2015, 01:26 PM   #1
barcley is offline barcley  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Two balanced line receivers (switched) at one balanced input

Hi,

I'm trying to design (as a beginner's project) a preamplifier board with PGA2310 /Arduino to be used with Icepower 125ASX2 amplifiers. Input to the pre is always balanced and symmetrical.
As a specialty Arduino should be able to switch the 125ASX2 from BTL to SE mode, depending on the module being used for Stereo active loudspeakers or for Sorround-setup.

This demands the following setup:
- In SE mode two unbalanced signals are needed to drive the 125ASX2
- In BTL mode a symmetrical signal is needed
- Icepower output needs to be switched (here I'm planning to use a power relay)

I'm trying to use as less parts as possible for this. Further, I chose the THAT1200 as balanced line receiver for SE mode, as it has quite a good spec.

To come to my problem:

As my input is always symmetrical I could directly forward the symmetrical IN+ and IN- to the PGA2310 for BTL mode, however inputs should be buffered for the PGA so this would potentially require 2 additional OpAmps. Further, I might need additional input RFI and AC coupling filters. I came up with the attached circuit, which (for BTL mode) forwards IN+ and IN- to both THAT1200 with inverted polarity at the second THAT1200.

As I'm quite new to electronics and audio design I have some questions:

Is there some reason that this is a bad idea? Is it generally going to work?
When both THAT's are driven in parallel is the input filtering still working as expected?

Thanks a lot and I'm of course open to other/better suggestions to solve this problem!

Best,

Sebastian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAT1200_Input_switched.pdf (34.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 1st April 2015, 06:08 PM   #2
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Looks like it should work, with no major side effects except the expected (differential and CM input impedance halve in BTL mode, reducing CMRR a bit). The worst that could happen would be some click/pop noise upon switching.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, now I can proceed and design the rest of the circuit !
Old 4th April 2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Remember that you should control the "BTL-sync" pin on the ASX as well (an arduino pin and a transistor should be enough for that).

/U.
Old 7th April 2015, 11:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, thank you . I was planning on controlling BTL (and also enable to avoid pop/click noises) by arduino.

Two balanced line receivers (switched) at one balanced inputHide this!Advertise here!