Why so difficult; It's just a switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build an attenuator but I'm new and having difficulty acquiring a simple mechanical switch :(

I'm trying to construct the following in a project box:

+4db balanced (XLR) -> [to] -> -10db balanced/unbalanced (1/4" phono)

(The [to] is a Jensen JT-6110K-B 4:1 stepdown transformer and associated passive circuitry on a breadboard at the moment)

I thought this bit of fun was about the transformer, I'd like to learn about them and this seemed the perfect excuse. Little did I know a couple of switches would provide all the "fun".

Basically, I want two switches, no? One for ground-lift on the +4b side and one to short ring to ground, or not, on the -10db side. I would like to use push-button switches. To make it simple I'd like to order two switches that work for either application. I've been looking for:

push-button, mini or micro, SPDT, >= 48V DC, >= 20mA

I think I want to stay away from the power in the circuit so no illumination.

I believe it would be terribly helpful to know the state of the switch, though, no? What I keep ordering, and receiving are switches that return to their original position. What I want is a switch that I press and *stays* depressed until I press again, then returns. What I keep receiving are switches that latch (aren't momentary) but always return to the same position; No external indication of their state.

Terribly frustrated at this point. What is the name of the thing I am looking for?

Thanks.

<< What is the name of the thing I am looking for? >>

You want a pushbutton switch that stays down when you push it the first time (on), then stays up when you push it the second time (off). Thus a visual indication of on or off.

Sadly, as far as I know there's no such switch today (there used to be). I'm going to chime in with sgrossklass, if you don't want an indicator light, then you're pretty much stuck with toggle switches. But at least they do give a foolproof on-off indication.

Like this one?

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 133
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.