Adding Balanced Outputs Psuedo or Real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a small line level device with RCA outputs that my brother wants to try out, but he insists I add balanced outputs. He will be plugging it into his new Audio Research Reference preamp and all he uses is balanced cables. The cables are only a few feet long, so I really don't see the point of inverting the unbalanced signal with an op amp or a transformer. Does this make sense or would I be cheating my brother if I just sent a balanced signal through his fancy cables?

balanced audio interface is specifically about balanced Z on the 2 wires, actively driving inverted polarity signal isn't really required, doesn't help with the CMRR of the balanced interconnect except for the 2x larger signal level increasing the S part of S/N

so if you give balanced Zout on the + and - signal, decide what is "correct" in your situation for pin 1/shield (360 chassis connection or RF hybrid, maybe DC ground lifter/loop breaker?), then most of the advantage of "balanced interconnect" would still be there

I see that jensen have changed their site.
They are forcing me to register before I can see the ap note.

Here's 003 from my HDD and a selection of other well worth reading/saving.

Attachments

• an003.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 54
  • an001.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 36
  • an004.pdf
    215.1 KB · Views: 35
  • an002.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 35
  • as001.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 41
  • as002.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 45
  • as005.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 40
  • as003.pdf
    13.1 KB · Views: 43
  • as010.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.