Correct way to split line level inside dual headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a dual headphone amp (two separate amps sharing the same unbalanced input)

Is the best way to do this to use resistors, or will it be fine to just split the signal?
Input impedance on the headphone amp is 10kΩ

I also intend to make a balanced version that will split the balanced input between one or two headphone amps and a balanced line level output[FONT=BaskervilleOldFace,Bold][FONT=BaskervilleOldFace,Bold]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
You could use Figure 2, but reverse the input and output. Now you have a splitter instead of a summer: Why Not Wye?

However, a passive (resistor) setup might be called a bit shadetree. You're actually talking about a "distribution amplifier." One common way to do this is to use a buffer for the input, then the buffer's output feeds as many output ICs as you like. Well...as many as you like within some kind of reason.

Don't be intimidated by the page title, just scroll down to Figure 18a: Designing An Opamp Headphone Amplifier | HeadWize

And/or, Google for:

headphone distribution amplifier circuits

Lots of people share your idea.

<< I also intend to make a balanced version that will split the balanced input between one or two headphone amps and a balanced line level output >>

I'm not sure what you mean by splitting the balanced input. Just in case:

Be aware that balanced lines (XLR connectors) have nothing to do with audio directly. Their sole function is to minimize noise pickup by connecting cables.

To do this, the single audio signal is sent to two different IC amps, one of which is non-inverting, the other inverting.

The non-inverting output is the original audio signal, sent down the line from the HOT terminal of an XLR connector.

The inverting output is 180-degrees out of phase with the original, it's sent down the line from the COLD terminal.

At the receiving end the inverted signal is again put through an inverting amplifier. It's now in phase with the original and the two are combined, again producing a single audio signal.

All of which means that if you split a balanced line you'll find that one side of the split is in phase with the original, but the other side of the split will be out of phase. This might not matter to your purpose, but I thought I'd mention.

<< I also intend to make a balanced version that will split the balanced input between one or two headphone amps and a balanced line level output >>

I'm not sure what you mean by splitting the balanced input. Just in case:

Be aware that balanced lines (XLR connectors) have nothing to do with audio directly. Their sole function is to minimize noise pickup by connecting cables.

To do this, the single audio signal is sent to two different IC amps, one of which is non-inverting, the other inverting.

The non-inverting output is the original audio signal, sent down the line from the HOT terminal of an XLR connector.

The inverting output is 180-degrees out of phase with the original, it's sent down the line from the COLD terminal.

At the receiving end the inverted signal is again put through an inverting amplifier. It's now in phase with the original and the two are combined, again producing a single audio signal.

All of which means that if you split a balanced line you'll find that one side of the split is in phase with the original, but the other side of the split will be out of phase. This might not matter to your purpose, but I thought I'd mention.
Thanks, this much I know.

What I mean is splitting off the signal to two headphone amps and one balanced line out.

I am building a dual headphone amp (two separate amps sharing the same unbalanced input)

Is the best way to do this to use resistors, or will it be fine to just split the signal?
Input impedance on the headphone amp is 10kΩ

I also intend to make a balanced version that will split the balanced input between one or two headphone amps and a balanced line level output[FONT=BaskervilleOldFace,Bold][FONT=BaskervilleOldFace,Bold]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Just feed the input to the two parallel headphone amps. Input impedance will be 5k if each amp has 10 k input impedance, which is ok.

Balanced interconnects are a lot trickier than that. By the time it gets to the receive end all you have is the Hot & Cold conductors. The reference to common (aka ground) is lost. So you can't just use the Hot output for one signal and the Cold output for the other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.