PGA2311 volume control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening.

I'm currently working on a project that uses a PGA2311 volume control chip. I've got it all hooked up and controlled by an Arduino and is actually working really well.

I'm currently at the point where I need to connect it to an amplifier (in my case a car amplifier - Mosconi AS100.4). My problem is that I don't know if I can connect the output from the PGA2311 directly to the input of the amplifier, or if I need some sort of buffer amplifier.

Reading the PGA2311 datasheet, it states that it can drive 600 ohm loads directly. The only spec I can find on the amplifier states that it has an 11 Kohm input impedance. I'm guessing that this is going to be an issue. I'm quite new to electronics and I'm possibly getting confused between resistance and impedance, so I'd appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance.

if it helps, you can find the amplifier datasheet here:

http://mosconi-system.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Specifications_AS100.4_2014.02.pdf

Many thanks,

Ian.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Think of it this way. The lower the resistance the more current will flow. If you go below 600 ohms impedance then the opamp will need to deliver more current (which it isn't designed for. so Max load is 600 ohms. ie a lower impedance of say 300 ohms will require more current and thererfore be a higher load!

Does that clear things up? :)

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.