The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer

It'll take the voltage if the caps are rated. You'll have to describe how you like the sound. Keantoken mentioned earlier that it might sound better with a bit less voltage. But I'm running higher than everyone else and it sounds great, so I'm not sure how important it even happens to be.

The transistors see a bit less than a 4th of the voltage (18/4=4.5 so a bit less than 4.5v). I think it might be better to have this headroom with some sources. My phono preamp claims up to 9v.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I see high current in Q2 Q4 and so around 160mW dissipation..... with Vcc +-18V

Attachments

• Kualt 18V.PNG
    Kualt 18V.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 542
Hello everyone

I realized the Kuartlotron there is already a lot of time and this buffer is a small jewel. After some requests I took again my printed circuit design with a better placement and a plan of mass which proved however useless.
If the request is made I will be able to post the manufacturing files.

Regard's

Attachments

• SILKSCREEN.JPG
    SILKSCREEN.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 555
  • TOP LAYER.JPG
    TOP LAYER.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 547
  • BOTTOM LAYER.JPG
    BOTTOM LAYER.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 545
  • ALL.JPG
    ALL.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 550
I have made an active 3 way active crossover with this buffer and I like it very very much. I even tried to drive the xo with this buffer. Probably the load is too much for the buffer since an AD815 based buffer gave me a much better slam and control. Unfortunatly the AD815 hasn't the magic and rightness of the Kuartlotron. Has anyone tried to add one more stage (BD139/140) to add muscles to this beautifull buffer?

Is this what you were doing? Notice the bootstrap is taken before the 47R resistor and there is no input shunt resistor (input must be DC coupled). You could also remove the 47R resistor entirely, it is there to help with cables.

Attachments

• Kuartlotron-LP.png
    Kuartlotron-LP.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 785
Last edited: