The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer

I don't think there is any reason to change it.

Destroyer,

Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well. I purchased 2 eBay DACT attenuators this time, one 50k and the other 100k. I'm not sure that either will make a difference, but thought I would try the 50k.

The other changes are to build the buffer with 2 RJM S-regs, which is a shunt-series voltage regulator for low current audio circuits, instead of the onboard shunts.

I use 10k with no issues, if that helps. The most important thing is to finish it and enjoy!

The circuit isn't fussy in the least. It's actually probably one of the most adaptable buffers around. I've run multiple amps off of each channel, and had zero issues with sources or volume devices. It just sounds great.

Destroyer OS,

Thank you. Not sure which value attenuator I will go with. My phono preamp just likes to see something over 25k. I will probably add a second set of output for my sub and see if it sounds better than the high level input.

Brad
If the pre is showing symptoms of struggling with less than 25k, then you shopuld be looking at what a bit of cable capacitance is doing to performance.
Invest in a Buffer on the output of your pre so that is can drive a cable and the next stage.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Anthony

I am going to use your kuartlotron buffers in my new preamp.
These buffers will be used for the tape recording output so they will be connected directly in parallel with the preamps inputs.

These inputs are also connected to the volume pot and to the DCG3 preamp from Salas.

Now, the pot has 50k ohm
DCG3 has 300k input impedance
I would like to increase the kuartlotron input impedance to minimize it's inpact on the overall input impedance for the preamp.

Can I increase R8 to 500k without having issues with the offset ?

Should I also include a series resistor in the input to avoid interactions between the two circuits connected in parallel ?

I am working on the layout I will post later to clear any doubts about the connections.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
This is what I have in mind:

Attachments

• Kuartlotron rec buffer.PNG
    Kuartlotron rec buffer.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 517