The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer

If you are into low component count, low board space and low noise the newer LDO's might be just what the doctor ordered but then no K multiplier necessary....Uh oh...

I've looked at the newer LDOs and they may be okay. Refresh my memory.

You're right, there is no need for the kmultiplier to go in. I just don't like copying others' designs, but I suppose I should just let it be.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't think anyone has indicated so far that the KM will even benefit significantly from a complex regulator.

I just recently made this test/comparison. On the start line:

7VA SLA batteries x2
KMult.
Hypex HNR/HPR12 12v Regulators (1+ / 1-)
2x Wellmean 15v/15W
A DAM 0.01% DAC.

a) With batteris only there is a really fluid big sound that has some really desirable properties.
b) Kmult only. Good but not the sense of stable granite as batteries.
c) Hypex regs. Musical, clean but lacked bass foundation.
d) Hypex regs + Kmult. Very close to batteries with maybe a tad cleaner and less grey upwards. Connected like: Meanwell -> Hypex -> Kmult -> DAM -> Hypex nCore ->

So the combo wins and removes the hassle with batteries. Haven't tried cheaper/simpler regs but have the feeling it can work as well.

//

Last edited:
Here is my first stab at the relay section. Experience certainly serves here. I had to trial and error it until I found a routing that wouldn't break the ground plane. Just quick and messy so far.

Attachments

• Mesmerize-swap-pcb.png
    Mesmerize-swap-pcb.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 544
I'm definitely interested in building a pre-amp based on the Kuartlotron buffer.

If it hasn't been proposed, here is a simple Kwikmute circuit that can work with a delayed power-on relay driver and offers de-energizing the mute relay whenever the supply rail sags by 2V or greater. It will also hold the relay off for a few seconds (about 10 seconds as in the simulated setup) once activated. I think a muting against power off or power failure is needed for a preamp in order to prevent any uncertain or erratic signals that might be generated from reaching the power amps.

Attachments

• Kwik-Mute.jpg
    Kwik-Mute.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 673
  • Kwik-Mute1.asc
    2.9 KB · Views: 79
The description you give sounds great.

Is L1 .5 henries?

Thank you:)

Keantoken is right. The inductance value is irrelevant here because L1 is a relay coil, we look much more seriously at its resistance at DC than at its inductance.

I don't have a relay coil symbol/model in my LTspice library so I substituted with an inductor. If you had opened the .asc file I attached you'd found L1 has 220R series resistance in its property setting.

I'm far more distracted than busy... that .asc can be opened in LTspice as a schematic ready for simulation and/or tweaking. That means a PC is in order unless LTspice came in cellphone version that I'm unaware of. Cellphones that do not do .asc can still open that .asc, as it is indeed an ASCII file, by renaming it to txt. Then it is not hard to search and find in it a text string starting with L1 with Rser=220 included.;)