Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Thoughts on this input selector PCB? How can I add volume control?
Thoughts on this input selector PCB? How can I add volume control?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2013, 03:18 AM   #1
alfa147x is offline alfa147x  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Questions about input selector

IY audio passive preamp

I'm trying to replicate this. Can someone help me understand this part:
Quote:
This passive preamp use a 4-port, 3-position switch. All channels' ground signal is switched with the main signal. The grounds of each channel are isolated, therefore ground loops between equipments are eliminated. Also, the noise from one source cannot get into another.
Specifically the bolded portion. Do the go both to the 3 position switch from each input?

Thanks,
Alfa

Last edited by alfa147x; 23rd November 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:31 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You have two channels, each with a ground and a signal. That is four connections. You have four poles (he calls them ports) on your switch. I don't understand your question.
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You have two channels, each with a ground and a signal. That is four connections. You have four poles (he calls them ports) on your switch. I don't understand your question.
Thanks that clears it up a bit more. So while the signal is being switched with the 3-position switch where does the ground connection get switched?
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The same switch. You have four poles: two for signal, two for ground. So with a 3-way switch you can switch between three inputs. I still don't understand what is puzzling you. If switching the ground is too complicated then use a 2-pole switch and just switch the signal - as most people do.

General rule in DIY: if you don't understand it don't do it!
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That makes sense. I would like to switch the ground as well. I'm drawing up plans at the moment. I want to switch the output between two options (headphone and power amp).

Thanks for the help!

Thoughts on this input selector PCB? How can I add volume control?Hide this!Advertise here!