Volume (level) ... the bottom line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hollowman said:
Many follies ... and they are mostly in the form of typical logical fallacies ... so all the academic edifications are a form of Argument from Authority.
Actually it was you who raised the issue of authority by questioning whether I am really an engineer. What use is that information to you? Surely you were not hoping to find that I am 'unqualified' to answer your query so you could safely ignore my reply? Unfortunately I, and many others, are quite able to reply - the issue is whether you have sufficient background knowledge to understand and accept the reply. Please be aware that I generally only mention my academic qualifications when someone questions them, thus showing that they prefer an argument from authority; I much prefer to argue from truth, not authority.

A lot of yous yaps lot but don't say much ... i.e., your replies/posts lack diagrams, hyperlinks, URLs, etc.
We are speaking of basic circuit theory. This does not need the support of citations, as you can check what we say in any competent textbook or via Google. It is advanced stuff which needs links etc. but we are a long way off from that yet!

Now if you understood potentiometers and first-order filters you would know that it is quite common for a volume control position to affect frequency rolloffs - especially if the circuit designer was not aware of this or had temporarily forgotten it. This mistake is seen in a lot of popular circuits, including some quite expensive ones.

Yes, and ...

Now if you understood potentiometers and first-order filters you would know that it is quite common for a volume control position to affect frequency rolloffs - especially if the circuit designer was not aware of this or had temporarily forgotten it. This mistake is seen in a lot of popular circuits, including some quite expensive ones.
I won't argue with this.

Subjectively, and to change the subject a bit...
I've noted that for a Colorfly DAP (which has a CS4398 DAC with digital volume control -- this controls Line Out and headphone Out concurrently), followed by any amp (pre-, integrated, headphone amp, receiver), REDUCING the (digital) volume on the Colorfly DAP to about 66% leads to some qualitative improvement in fidelity at the output of the outboard amp.
I'd assumed that line source with digital (scaling) line-out volume was "always" meant to be used at full scale when the outboard amp had its OWN volume control.
I'm not sure what's going on with DAP+AMP "relationship" but that complex volume issue once again rears its ugly head...

(PCB of Colorfly CK-4 DAP)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Colorfly DAP + AMP (not mine but similar):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(not my image of ...) Colorfly screen with digital volume level, red bar between - and +:
ceVk9OsGqptWs.jpg

I hope not too many newbies read this thread. I was under the impression that a volume control, no matter which form it takes, is a fairly simple concept to understand. Can a variable resistor be that hard to get to grips with? I feel the need for beer now.......

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Hollowman: I think one should realize that reports of '... and the sound changed significantly...' are very personal opinions and reflect much more about the person making them then about the equipment and equipment changes.

Unless you find a way to present this as results of a well controlled ears-only test, it is unlikely that many will jump to the case of, for example, audible changes due to reducing a digital level to 66%.

This may explain some reactions here that you may find odd.

Jan

Last edited:
ears-only test

@Hollowman: I think one should realize that reports of '... and the sound changed significantly...' are very personal opinions and reflect much more about the person making them then about the equipment and equipment changes.

Unless you find a way to present this as results of a well controlled ears-only test, it is unlikely that many will jump to the case of, for example, audible changes due to reducing a digital level to 66%.

This may explain some reactions here that you may find odd.

Jan
Didden:
I know who you are and of your long-standing "reputation". I'm also familiar with your writings in AudioXpress, etc ... and I rarely find your opinions concordant with mine.

Not an ad hominem attack by any means ... it's your views, not you ;)

As far as the "ears-only test," ... well, I have 'scoped and measured the aforementioned phenomenon ... and found no correlation.
That's not unexpected or all that important in my book. Also...
DIYA is not HydrogenAudio, as far as I know, so "ears-only test" are on the table AFAIK ... Or are all vinyl fans, and NOS geeks, etc., magically not in the "ears-only" group?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.