ground "loop" type issue with Android phones into class D amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have terrible noise when plugged into all my class d amps, but it stops the moment music is played. It then returns about 5 seconds after the music stops.

Two questions; one, is this a common problem with android/headphone outputs (I realise it's not actually line level!)? I couldn't find anything googling it.

And 2, will a stereo audio inductor or ground loop isolator solve this problem?

The power supplies are AC to DC so I wonder if this is part of the issue. Is there continuity between DC and and mains earth? (Such a basic question revealing my lack of knowledge)

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would be tempted to add a low value resistor (well two, one for each channel) across the amp inputs and see if that stops the issue. Class D amps ( the Android not yours, and assuming it uses one) often rely on the headphone or speaker resistance/impedance to form part of the output filter. Try 33 ohms or thereabouts.

(I wouldn't imagine there is any continuity from mains earth to the Android via its own PSU. Does the PSU have a plastic earth prong... assuming its a wall wart ? If in doubt just measure on low ohms range on a DVM from the earth prong to the headphone socket outer. Make sure the Android is "free standing" and not connected to anything else for that test)

Since it stops and starts with the music, I'd guess the headphone amplifier IC is powered down when music is not being played to save power. That being the case, the outputs will be indeterminate when stopped or (maybe) paused. You could try a resistor in the 100 ohm range to see if it eliminates the problem.

It's the same solution Mooly proposed, but for a different reason.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.