Single ended to balanced conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment I'm designing a balanced DCB1. While most of my gear has balanced in and outputs, some have only single ended outputs. For that reason I want to add some single ended inputs to be balanced DCB1. I'm looking for a good way to achieve this, without using expensive transformers.

After some reading on the web I came across this article from Walt Jung
http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/39-05/Web_Ch6_final_I.pdf
Look at page 67.
The schematic on that page shows an op-amp circuit used for single ended to balanced conversion. It does exactly what I'm looking for, but if I was to use such an circuit I'd like to use it with better op-amps, so if I change the OP275 for TI's LM4562 would the circuit still work?

Perhaps there are other (better??) ways or circuits to achieve single ended to balanced conversion?? Perhaps other op-amps that are better suited for the job, anything... I'm open to suggestions.
I'm looking for a high fidelity solution with reasonable pricing.

I have converted my system to balanced {sowter transformers} and several other peoples systems; I did not think it would improve the Audio but it certainly makes them much quieter. another advantage is the better XLR connectors and you can run much longer leads.
My friends and Myself think it has made a big difference; mine is very minimal but one friend has everything balanced; cost a lot using transformers.
Phil

What do you hope to gain by adding more amplification stages? If the source is single ended, adding more stages to convert the source to balanced will not improve anything.
Adding more amplification stage is not the goal, I'm just looking for a way to let the balanced DCB1 take both balanced and single ended inputs and output the signal to balanced outputs. I clearly see the benefit of balanced lines, so that's no point of discussion to me. Besides most of my gear has balanced in and outputs and I'd like to use these.
Now back on topic; The only outputs will be balanced outputs for now, but maybe I will want to add some single ended outputs to make it a bit more versatile. That would mean that there must also be some sort of balanced to single ended conversion, but that is easier to achieve imho. So the big question is how to let the balanced DCB1 take both balanced and single ended inputs and output the signals to the balanced outputs in a way that does degrade the signal integrity as little as possible, but at a reasonable price.

These are the schematics for the balanced input --> buffer --> output

377813d1382272511-salas-hotrodded-blue-dcb1-build-balanced-dcb1.jpg

That's how you can connect single ended outputs to a balanced amplifier. The output will not see ground if I connect the negative input to ground because the buffer is in between.

I was planning to use a single relay to control the MUTE circuit of a single balanced channel. I could use two relays of course. When using a single ended input I can short the buffer's (negative) output to ground. This way the amplifier will also see ground. I think that this is what you mean, right?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I was planning to use a single relay to control the MUTE circuit of a single balanced channel. I could use two relays of course. When using a single ended input I can short the buffer's (negative) output to ground. This way the amplifier will also see ground. I think that this is what you mean, right?

hmm, not sure, maybe

I meant that a multipole input selector might do double function and simultaniously switch to SE convertion when selecting to those sources

but yeah, maybe a simple relay is easier

on second thought, maybe it would wise to cut ground input as well as signal input for all sources, so that only the active input is grounded :scratch2:
(might take care of possible chassis/ground loop issues)

Yes, but I can not simply connect to ground to the negative input, right? With the buffer in between the buffer's negative output does not see ground or am I missing something here??
The negative output need to connect to ground, by means of a a multi-pole input selector or relay, while leaving the negative input open. But how does this effect the buffer if the output is shorted for a long time?

hmm, not sure, maybe

I meant that a multipole input selector might do double function and simultaniously switch to SE convertion when selecting to those sources

but yeah, maybe a simple relay is easier

on second thought, maybe it would wise to cut ground input as well as signal input for all sources, so that only the active input is grounded :scratch2:
(might take care of possible chassis/ground loop issues)
I was typing a reply while you where posting, so ...

All input signals not used will be cut indeed, but I'm not sure if cutting their grounds is needed. It would make the input switching much more complex. Perhaps is connecting the negative output to ground the best solution. No op-amps/line drivers would be needed keeping the amount of parts in the signal path to a minimum.

What would happen if I connect the negative input to ground? Or would it be best to leave it open?

The drawing in post #6 is far from a balanced circuit. A balanced circuit (input or output) needs to be symmetrical. All the circuit caps & resistors need to be matched to 1%. Not individual pots.

Also on a XLR connector the pin #1 is only connected to the chassis near the connector, it is not part of the circuit common or ground.

pin #1 error solved.

The drawing in post #6 is far from a balanced circuit. A balanced circuit (input or output) needs to be symmetrical. All the circuit caps & resistors need to be matched to 1%. Not individual pots..
There are no capacitors in the circuit path. The resistors are quite easy to match, but what do you suggest to attenuate the signal without using a pot? A logarithmic attenuator with resistors matched to 1% or even closer by using resistors from f.i. the RC55 series (0.1%) from Welwyn?

Attachments

• Balanced DCB1.JPG
    Balanced DCB1.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 457
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Also on a XLR connector the pin #1 is only connected to the chassis near the connector, it is not part of the circuit common or ground.

really ? I thought pin-1 was signal ground in a true balanced system ?

and chassis/earth would be a 'partly isolated system'
(you will find info on how to do that in Pass F5 and F5Turbo threads)

but I find it strange that there is so little solid info to find in general
or that the available info is so 'contradicting' :eek:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hmm, maybe leave out any RCA chassis connectors, and use only XLR on preamp input

use the cable to do the 'convertion'

proper input selector should be able to take care of the rest
(I would consider switch ground as well)
I guess a simple 3P4T/3pole-4way would do

Hi,

There are schemes commonly used in studios to take advantage
of a balanced input when connected to single ended outputs.

Presuming hot is driven by the SE output, the cold input though
carrying no signal level, is used to cancel any common mode
signal equally induced on both the hot and cold in the cable.

Covered by Douglas Self in his books, presumably also others.

rgds, sreten.

really ? I thought pin-1 was signal ground in a true balanced system ?

and chassis/earth would be a 'partly isolated system'
(you will find info on how to do that in Pass F5 and F5Turbo threads)

but I find it strange that there is so little solid info to find in general
or that the available info is so 'contradicting' :eek:

There is no "signal ground" in a balanced system. Each signal line has the same impedance to ground in a balanced system. The shield may be grounded, but it is not a signal carrying conductor.

http://jensentransformers.com/an/an003.pdf

http://jensentransformers.com/an/generic%20seminar.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.