want to make a splitter box for use with mixer inserts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the problem I want to solve. My band uses a 24 channel mixer that has 2 monitor sends. In order to get more monitor sends, we plug a regular non-stereo plug halfway into the insert jack of each channel, and send it to the line input of an unused channel, and then use subgrouping switches to route the new "monitor send" to the proper amps. This works pretty well.

The downside is that those insert jacks are now unavailable for their intended purpose, which means I can't use our compressors like I'd like.

I want to make a box that takes a stereo 1/4" as an input, so that I can have the inserts intended functionality in the box, and aslo split off the "send" portion of the insert signal path to another 1/4" output so I can use that for my monitor trick, or whatever else.

My idea is to have an opamp unity gain stage, or discrete emitter follower to take the "send" signal from the mixer insert, and use a couple low value resistors at the output to split the signal. I would use as many of these circuit blocks as channels I want to do this with, probably 12.

Sound good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.