MUSES 72320 electronic volume

Who's completed a meldano Muses volume kit?

I am thinking of buying the meldano Muses kit. I have gotten myself past the fear of all the SMD soldering but would still like feedback from actual builders.

Seems like folks have bought the boards/parts but there doesn't seem to be much discussion of the completed project? Maybe everyone is busy listening to them and don't have time to post?

Just looking for confirmation that folks are happy with them, and any build-related tips they can share? Anyone? Is this the best place to ask?

Great Affordable MUSES Board

Hi guys!

I don't post too often, but want to share my recent experience with the community.

I built a few projects with the MUSES72320 volume control, and found it much superior to any other electronic volume control solution. For my last preamp I used a VCM board from Academy Audio. I tried to use an Arduino board to control it, but could not get smooth operation, and ended up buying an MCU-M board with connectors and a deluxe remote control options. At $155 total I got great sound.

This summer I started a headphone amp project, but felt uneasy shelling out another $155 for the volume control. I called the guys from Academy Audio, and they offered me to try a VCU - a new more affordable single board MUSES volume control, that has all the control circuitry built in. The basic unit runs at $60. The remote control receiver option (with a deluxe remote unit) adds another $30.

I got the VCU with the remote, and found it even easier to integrate into my design than the VCM . The VCU board has the same functionality as the VCM/MCU-M kit. They even added the MUTE control from the encoder knob, which was lacking in the MCU-M design.
The sound was quite harsh at the beginning, getting much better after about 20 hours of burn-in. Today, after about a month it sounds as easy, silky and transparent as the VCM. Here are some pictures:
open
open

I am thinking about buying one of the kits from academy audio.

Iam totally confused as to whether a buffer is needed after the pot...the muses will be in front of a jfet input preamp with 47k input impedance.

Internet pics show what might be a jfet follower after the muses pot on the xp30...but why? Surely the input impedance of UGS is almost as high as a complementary jfet follower like b1 rev2.

Yes, use a buffer after the pot. The Academy Audio offerings have a place on the pc board for a dual FET op amp of your choosing to function as a buffer.

You should not need a buffer on the input side unless you have an unusually high source impedance feeding the Muses IC.

I am thinking about buying one of the kits from academy audio.

Iam totally confused as to whether a buffer is needed after the pot...the muses will be in front of a jfet input preamp with 47k input impedance.

Internet pics show what might be a jfet follower after the muses pot on the xp30...but why? Surely the input impedance of UGS is almost as high as a complementary jfet follower like b1 rev2.

Yes, use a buffer after the pot. The Academy Audio offerings have a place on the pc board for a dual FET op amp of your choosing to function as a buffer.

You should not need a buffer on the input side unless you have an unusually high source impedance feeding the Muses IC.

Why? I understand that the Muses IC shows more channel imbalance as the input impedance goes down. But at 47K it looks pretty good.

My preamp has a 47K input impedance. My buffer has a 100K input impedance. Not much difference.