MUSES 72320 electronic volume

I soldered two sets in Hong Kong and both of them works fine from the beginning until recently. The third set is now in Toronto and as reported, there is some clicks when turning the pot but remains normal after that. One set is being powered by one +- 15V and the other set is by separate +- 15V and +5V. Now, both sets are in trouble.

The sound is great and superior than all of my previous VR like - DACT, Khozmo, TKD and of course, those blue ALPS. Yet, this ringing is really annoying and they just came out all of a sudden after I moved.

The only thing I thought of in the move is rough handling by movers. Yet, this is solid state kit and should have no effect on drops at all unless someone can tell me a drop can cause trouble to this kit.

Last edited:

MUSES 72320 electronic volume kit
but the website is in Japanese.
(Wrong coding on the link but just click on it and it will direct you to the page of this volume control kit)

By the way, I asked my friend in Tokyo to purchase another set from them in December but they were out of stock. The expected arrival date; as being told at that time, was around February 2018. If this is true, it should be available now but I am not buying from them right now because of the problems I have with their kits.

You can also consider to purchase PCB and ROM from the member in #363. I wish to try but I have no confidence with my shaking hands on SMD. Still wondering should I try.

Last edited:
It's probably fine, but seems to be no sources outside of sampling (that you could trust).

Whilst the balanced mode distortion is quite nice the single ended distortion in the data-sheet is poorer by quite a margin compared with the MUSES. Device layout is arguably easier to use and the internal peak detector is a handy addition for full preamp or mixer duties.

After working for a week, I decided to look at the power supply of the MUSES volume control kit last night. The current regulators are DEXA + - 15V and a DEXA +5V that should be good. My only worry is they are next to the power transformer and rectifier tube. I put back a set of 7815 and 7915 to the volume control and there are even more noise than before. In this respect, I think the position of the regulators may be too close to the noise source.

The power lines are too short to move the regulators to other side of the chassis. I put another regulator that has a separate transformer for the MUSES and the VV noise is gone. Yet, when I turn the volume control to excessively high, other kind of noise appears. In this respect, I think the power supply is the source of noise that has to be taken care of. Will further work on it and report.

Yesterday I contacted Meldano but after a discussion in another diy forum and checking the manual and muse datasheet, I've seen that Meldano's pcbs are not built according to datasheet schematics.
Who cares you might say but I want to know from the people who already have these, about the dc offset at the output.
I'm gonna use it with DCG3 which is not AC coupled and Meldano's pcb don't have caps at input and output.

Last night, I moved the DEXA power supply away from the transformer and rectifier tube, noise is gone but when I turned louder, there were two positions that noise appears again. These two positions are already at excessively high and above normal listening level. When I turn even louder after these two positions, the noise is gone again. There is no such noise if I changed the volume control to ALPS.

Anyone has a clue on why this could happen?

Last edited:
I have at the moment three different muses applications in use. The one from melano, the Japanese kit and the one from Hi-end Audio Modules | United States | Academy Audio Inc. Till now no problems at all. For me I have the “feeling “ that melano’s version ( no caps) is the more ‘direct’ one. Acoustic bass sounds amazing. I’ ve installed them in Acrylic cases... so there is no preventive against outside “influences “ , no problems. The power supply is about 15cm (transformer) away. Simple construction with 7805/7815/7915 . For me it seems that your problems are caused maybe on your external wiring (antenna) or on a soldering problem. Once I had on a other SMD project noice that where coused by using soldering paste. After intensiv brushing�� with alcohol/Toothbrush I washed/ brushed away those microscopic tin particles... great success. I seemed that there was a sort of shortcut or capacitor effect .

I think the examples work well on the data sheets but it has so much range we only use the front section. It feeds quad fets. Another good part is the Maxim 1882. It has 63 dB range and is inexpensive plus available.
Was the XP30 in hifi & Records?

Wayne,

It has only been 6 years since you said you like the Maxim chip. Do you still feel this way?

I want to do something, but I can see myself blowing up a few $$chips before I get something right :) but I want to end up with something worthwhile too....

TIA!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Another MUSES72320 based volume control

I made a slightly different volume controller with the MUSES72320. The details are in the separate thread. The control is done by an Arduino with an appropriate sketch. I attach some pictures, the schematic the board, and a FFT graph.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.png
    IMG_0752.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 1,040
  • IMG_0751.png
    IMG_0751.png
    710.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • avc+s_muses sch_Page_1.png
    avc+s_muses sch_Page_1.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • avc+s_muses top silk.png
    avc+s_muses top silk.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • MUSES27320 1kHz 0dB gain.png
    MUSES27320 1kHz 0dB gain.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 982
I made a slightly different volume controller with the MUSES72320. The details are in the separate thread. The control is done by an Arduino with an appropriate sketch. I attach some pictures, the schematic the board, and a FFT graph.

I love how you based on Bruno Putzeys preamp from „The G-word...”! Exactly What I’m designing right now. Please see my „Daddy preamplifier” thread here at diyaudio.com.

preamp control with a processor, or one chip, or many. I also designed a volume, input, mute and IR remote for fun. See:
Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level Preamp Control -Volume,input,mute, remote
Have a good one,
John

John, your links above take me right back here which I find somewhat confusing.
Where exactly is a schematic or thread about your design??