MUSES 72320 electronic volume

Maybe consider a more modern regulator? Like LT1963A, LT1761, TPS7A4700, TPS7A3001 etc?

I use TPS7A4901/A3001 for the analog voltages on the Akouo Volume and Select board.
TPS7A47, TPS7A3301 are expensive and I use this in AD and DA converters. I like these parts.
In this case, I just need a cheap and small solution for the internal 3-5 volts (35uA max.) on a small Muses PCB.
The TPS7A4901/A3001 could be placed on a extra pluggable PCB. But only for the analogue voltage.

Attachments

• Muses-CPU-Decoder.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 321
  • MUSES_MINI.jpg
    MUSES_MINI.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 1,446
Akouo based preamp

I did finish an Akouo based preamp a few weeks ago.
Since then I'm amazed every evening when returning to my Hifi System. The sound just improves every day.
I use:
Akouo controller with latest SW
Akouo volume/select board in balanced configuration
My own PS because it also powers the gain stage.
If you want to build a really world class pre, go for it.

As the pre is UGS6 based I'm a bit concerned posting pictures or schematics. Maybe pics is ok? I'll ask Wayne or Nelson when I finalized some other things....

The Muses is an AMAZING volume control and it sounds better than relais solutions (I have them) and the Dallas 1882 in the XP10 (I have also). That is -of course- my opinion. Your impressions my vary.
I'll substitude all volume controls in my various systems with Muses Solutions step by step.

What else is amazing is the Akouo Service!
ALL my wishes and suggestions are allready built into the SW, I've yet to find this kind of service anywhere else.
:up::up::up:

Last edited:
They Did It Again!

About a month ago I spoke with Andrew from Academy Audio and complained that I could not fit their fancy Muses volume control board into my tube integrated amp. The guy hinted that a mini board was on the way, and suggested to watch their site for a presale info. I managed to order the new volume board and a new controller for it a week ago and finally received the order yesterday!

What I got from a very crude manual (they promised a better one on their site soon), the new VCM volume control works with +/-15V and does not require a +5V supply. Great relief! It is also configured to work with or without the onboard opamp, although a DIP8 footprint is provided. The latter option works for me just fine - I feed a tube line stage. But the best thing is -it measures just 1.5"x 1.5"x 0.3".

They offer a matching mini-controller board that can be assembled on top of the VCM board, and then placed on a faceplate like a regular pot. If I decide to go this way I will need to order a standoff and connectors kit. The controller came with a 6 inch long flat printed cable. I am planning to put the controller with the encoder in place of the existing volume control, and place the VCM board next to the line stage input to reduce noise pickup.

I built a quick breadboard to try the new control. You may see it at the attached pix. I use it as a passive volume control feeding my vintage Marantz amp. It works smooth from the knob and from the remote. When the remote operates, the LED blinks green to acknowledge the command. The knob has a push switch to switch into balance control. The LED glows green when the balance is shifted to the left, and red when to the right. At the middle position both chips glow. The remote adds a Mute mode not available from the knob. The LED glows steady red while Mute.
I tried the VCM board with the original LCD MCU board as well - works great. The cable is compatible with both controllers, only the LCD controller requires an external 5V to operate.

The only problem I had so far was the distorted audio feeding through the control when power is off. I called AA and spoke with Lenny who said that I had to use a muting relay that is controlled from the VCM board. The large MUSES board from AA has this relay onboard. I double-checked the manual - they show the relay in the application section.

I will continue my evaluation and post my impressions in a few days.

The relay is nice since there aren't any turn on/off thumps or pops. Unfortunately, the board is too big for your application.

I only wish I could use a larger universal remote with the A.A. system. I have no idea how to do that or if it's even possible.

Hi ammel68,

The new VCM board is small enough ( see the pictures) , and I found a relay to fit at the output. So this problem is solved.

I use a learning universal remote with the AA board, which I programmed from the original AA remote. Andrew also mentioned they were working on a learning remote version of their controllers, so almost any remote control unit will work.

JC

Attachments

• IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 1,802
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 1,745
I did finish an Akouo based preamp a few weeks ago.
Since then I'm amazed every evening when returning to my Hifi System. The sound just improves every day.
I use:
Akouo controller with latest SW
Akouo volume/select board in balanced configuration
My own PS because it also powers the gain stage.
If you want to build a really world class pre, go for it.

As the pre is UGS6 based I'm a bit concerned posting pictures or schematics. Maybe pics is ok? I'll ask Wayne or Nelson when I finalized some other things....

The Muses is an AMAZING volume control and it sounds better than relais solutions (I have them) and the Dallas 1882 in the XP10 (I have also). That is -of course- my opinion. Your impressions my vary.
I'll substitude all volume controls in my various systems with Muses Solutions step by step.

What else is amazing is the Akouo Service!
ALL my wishes and suggestions are allready built into the SW, I've yet to find this kind of service anywhere else.
:up::up::up:

couldn't agree more with your comment! He offers a great product at a great price and last but not least important his service is excellent.
I just had caused a little problem with the controller board and he was there to communicate with me and willing to find a solution!
A true gentlemen and a great asset to the audio diy community!
:cool:

Hi ammel68,

I use a learning universal remote with the AA board, which I programmed from the original AA remote. Andrew also mentioned they were working on a learning remote version of their controllers, so almost any remote control unit will work.

JC

Hello John,

I was able to get a universal learning remote to control the A.A. system. Now I don't have to rely just on their small remote.
Thank you for the suggestion.