MUSES 72320 electronic volume

@ Tolu
The board is designed for asymmetrical operation. For symmetrical operation, you need two boards.
There is no OPV or any gainstage on board, so you can use it to replace a normal stereo potentiometer.
I am sorry, that i cant start my webpage yet and you can get there all the information you need. Unfortunately, we currently have memory problems in our rented server and i hope this is fixed soon.

@ BV
First measurements were made with my Rohde&Schwarz SUN2S/U on the prototype.
The measured values (THDN, Noise) are below the range of this equipment.
(symmetrical setup, Muses attenuation set to -6db, ref signal 0dBm, THD < -72dBm, Noise <- 92dBm,)
Also measured with an spectrum analyzer, the individual values were already below -120dBm.
I'm going to replace this quick infos with more accurate measured values soon.

Hey spiri...I have made some research and found that you have a website with these kits available.
Wow prices look so cheap and build is so freaking good.
Please keep us posted when these boards can be posted as this could be a turning point for many of us who use old and inefficient volume controls!!!
Knowing that pass uses it on his best applications...wooww!!'
Thanks for working on this and like I said keep us posted!

I am not saying this is not a good product, but I have my doubts about the price setting, much like what I feel about the 'audiophile' MUSE opamps. As far as I can see it is a lot of clever marketing. They sell these chips at superpremium prices to the DIY-market, but this is obviously not where their volume is. The bulk sale of course is to equipment manufacturers to much more realistic prices, who in turn can charge a premium over the competition.

The Ti PGA2320 is 1/5th of the price and has better specs.
http://www.ti.com/product/pga2320

I personally feel more comfortable spending a couple of dollars more for this chip that I know somebody of the caliber of Nelson Pass uses it than trying some unknown device.
You are talking like a marketing person for a big company!!
This is DIY and nobody will go bankrupt if the thing costs few bucks more.
Plus I have a certain respect for somebody who does all this nice and hard work and I don't dismiss it because Texas saves me few dollars!!!!
:cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Wow I didn't even know that!!! Which means that the guy has to develop all these many boards and taking up the risk of not selling it??
Really??? Woooo!!!
Well I am sure there will be plenty of I retest here...he uses the very best technology for volume control...hands down to the work of spyro!!

@spyro
Please keep us posted when this boards are available....we want to see a nice group buy....can't wait for it!

I would love to experiment with the part myself, but the 100 piece minimum that, for example, Digi-Key requires, is a few more than I need :) (I would be up for two or three). On the other hand $15.00 each doesn't seem so bad for a quality pot. I guess I will wait and hope that someone on ebay (or on diyaudio) offers them in smaller quantities.

The muses specsheet is not very strong on technical detail, but from what I can see it is a PGA, with obviously an opamp in the signal path. What is the difference with the Ti part?

Interesting. That is a good point. I am pretty sure mr. Pass experimented with all these parts and I think that if he ended up choosing this one...maybe...and I say maybe...it's because it's the best sounding part!

Maybe you can experiment with the TI part and give us all your feedback :cool:

Stefanoo,

Please don't get me wrong, I am sure the MUSES part is excellent, but an overwhelming part of the rationality to choose it over others would seem to be the market segment one is operating in. I have the greatest respect for the elegant and well sounding designs of Nelson Pass, so you certainly can't wrong with a part that passed his muster.

Stefanoo,

Please don't get me wrong, I am sure the MUSES part is excellent, but an overwhelming part of the rationality to choose it over others would seem to be the market segment one is operating in. I have the greatest respect for the elegant and well sounding designs of Nelson Pass, so you certainly can't wrong with a part that passed his muster.

I have a question above...do you know if I am correct or not?

We cross posted, so I see your question just now.

From the specsheet MUSES72320,MUSES72320V (18V Operation 2-Channel Electronic Volume) | MUSES Official Website click on 'datasheet' , page 1, you can from the block diagram that you need external opamps to make it work. Inside the MUSES chip are programmable resistor arrays that attenuate the input and set the opamp gain in the inverting path.

The Ti 2320 chip has the opamps inside, otherwise it seems to work pretty much the same. For a number of reasons I would prefer to have good opamps in the same package, rather than externally. Tweakability suffers though, again market segment.