Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2018, 09:58 AM   #111
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly View Post

The man must be a bat or Count Dracula. I always find it funny when older people talk about 96 kHz or even 192 kHz sampling and even hear up to 10-12 kHz!
Old 27th September 2018, 10:18 AM   #112
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf View Post
The man must be a bat or Count Dracula. I always find it funny when older people talk about 96 kHz or even 192 kHz sampling and even hear up to 10-12 kHz!
That is just disrespectful. David is not so small minded to be just thinking of himself.
You should have noticed he garners opinion from many groups to inform of what is
perceived, and expresses findings in terms of the plural ( we) rather than the singular.

If you listen to what he says, where wide bandwidth is catered for, it seemingly improves
lower audible frequencies. He also talks in terms of perception rather than directly hearing
frequencies beyond what is our upper threshold.

Last edited by Chris Daly; 27th September 2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 27th September 2018, 11:04 AM   #113
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly
Indeed, but that does not have to confine the pot, to its traditional fairly mundane use.
It does in this thread, which is clearly about choosing a suitable pot for a conventional passive preamp which uses the pot as a signal voltage diviver. Choosing a pot for some other circuit use belongs in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf
A good friend of mine (making audio devices for 40 years) once told me, that it is not the job of good audio devices to roll-off the signal and limit the bandwidth. If a signal is bothersome or dangerous, it has to be eliminated at the front of the source.
It is the amplifier which drives the speakers, so the amplifier is exactly the right place to put in any protection the speakers need, such as bandwidth limitation. The source is the wrong place to do this.
Old 27th September 2018, 11:18 AM   #114
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
It does in this thread, which is clearly about choosing a suitable pot for a conventional passive preamp which uses the pot as a signal voltage diviver. Choosing a pot for some other circuit use belongs in another thread.
That is then given equal prominence as a sticky type thread ? There are many exciting ways of using potentiometers in passive preamps which require discussion. ..
Old 28th September 2018, 10:54 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

You could start a thread about the exciting issue of choosing a control pot for an LDR volume control, then ask the Mods to make it a sticky. I am going to guess that they might decline, on the grounds that part of the justification for LDR volume controls is that the pot is not really in the signal path so doesn't really matter too much.

On the other hand, people are always popping up asking about how to choose a passive volume pot value to use between X source impedance and Y load impedance so it makes sense to put the answer in a sticky.
Old 26th October 2018, 04:03 PM   #116
jfetter is offline jfetter  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

What is a "sticky" anyway?

Old 26th October 2018, 04:52 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

This thread is a sticky. It is a thread which remains at the top of the forum area, not being displaced by more recent non-sticky threads.
Old 25th May 2019, 05:25 AM   #118
Rockaway is offline Rockaway  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure if this is the correct location for this question but here it goes.
Iím building a dual mono passive preamp using Dact SMD pots. The chassis for each is
a repurposed Leads and Northrop Aryton Shunt Galvonometer. There are heavy duty binding post terminals with large brass posts. For aesthetics and simplicityís sake I would like to keep these. What sonic degradation might I experience forgoing the RCA jacks here? I have
Read that RCAs are a flawed design sighting skin effect and phase issues. I donít have an issue with them though Iíve always thought that a solder joint is the weakest link in the signal path.
Attached Images
File Type: png EBF555E8-A2EA-4FED-BB86-09F074C3F5AB.png (629.6 KB, 112 views)
Old 25th May 2019, 11:22 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway
I have
Read that RCAs are a flawed design sighting skin effect and phase issues.
No. You can safely ignore anyone who told you that. RCAs are flawed, but nothing to do with skin effect or phase. RCA is often flimsy, can have poor contact resistance, and makes the signal contact before ground. However, it is successfully used in most domestic audio systems.

The weakest link in a signal path is the transducers: microphones, speakers.

Using binding posts for inputs may mean a bit more hum because you unavoidably introduce some loop area.
Old 25th May 2019, 07:01 PM   #120
Rockaway is offline Rockaway  United States
diyAudio Member

I know that capacitance is a factor with passive pre’s.
The shielding on an RCA jacket must contribute to this. If I keep
Exposed area of the cable short on the top where it attaches to the binding posts seems like little RF could “get in”.

The brass posts inside are within the thick walled aluminum chassis and theoretically
Immune to RF magnetic fields ground loops etc.

Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"Hide this!Advertise here!