Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"
Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2018, 09:17 AM   #101
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

i'm returning to this topic after doing some reading of "The Art of Electronics" (Horowitz / Hill, 3rd Ed.). Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that a lower resistance pot puts more "load on the source". I never quite understood what exactly that was supposed to mean. Now I stumbled upon this sentence in the book mentioned above:

Signal sources (e.g., oscillators, amplifiers, and sensing de- vices) all have an equivalent internal resistance. Attaching a load whose resistance is less than or even comparable to the internal resistance will reduce the output considerably. This undesirable reduction of the open-circuit voltage (or signal) by the load is called “circuit loading.” Therefore you should strive to make Rload ≫Rinternal , be- cause a high-resistance load has little attenuating effect on the source

Is that explaining what "load on the source means"? It seems to make sense to me :-)

Last edited by Mixi; 12th February 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:06 PM   #102
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixi View Post
Is that explaining what "load on the source means"? It seems to make sense to me :-)
Yes, and distortion will usually increase with heavy loading, as well.

Last edited by rayma; 12th February 2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 18th August 2018, 04:56 AM   #103
johnhenryharris is offline johnhenryharris  United States
diyAudio Member

Just do away with the potentiometer and its problem and use Discrete well matched high quality resistors for the voltage divider, digitally controlled. Like This:
Click the image to open in full size. Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level Click the image to open in full size. Preamp Control -Volume,input,mute, remote
Enjoy
Old 18th August 2018, 02:36 PM   #104
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

This thread is about choosing a pot, not choosing something else.
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:58 AM   #105
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
This thread is about choosing a pot, not choosing something else.
Indeed, but that does not have to confine the pot, to its traditional fairly mundane use.

Is the ethos of the forum is to discover new things ? or to continually repeat the past.

In this case just celebrating variations of patent 1357773 Rheostat ,or drawings made by Sir Charles Wheatstone in 1843

Choosing a pot should as I see it equally have the ability, to encompass designs which enable the pot away from just processing audio signals - whilst acknowledging a pot is being chosen for duty somewhere in that circuit as part of a passive preamplifier.
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:43 AM   #106
ctrlx is offline ctrlx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixi View Post
lower resistance pot puts more "load on the source". I never quite understood what exactly that was supposed to mean.

have you read post 1 of this thread?
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:39 AM   #107
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Your design has several issues. Put an op amp (5532 or 5534) after DAC and after the pot (voltage follower). You need two/channel. BTW you need a log law pot.

Last edited by diyralf; 23rd September 2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:29 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

additio: All mechanical pots have a left/right deviation of 3..20! dB at the end positions.
If you can't live with it, you have to change to other technologies: stepped attenuator, relay att, digital volume pot, etc.

Last edited by diyralf; 23rd September 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:45 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
It's a good idea to roll off the low frequency to avoid excessive excursion of speakers, particularly if a turntable is your source. Yes, 20Hz is about the limit of audibility

A good friend of mine (making audio devices for 40 years) once told me, that it is not the job of good audio devices to roll-off the signal and limit the bandwidth. If a signal is bothersome or dangerous, it has to be eliminated at the front of the source.
Old 27th September 2018, 08:55 AM   #110
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyralf View Post
A good friend of mine (making audio devices for 40 years) once told me, that it is not the job of good audio devices to roll-off the signal and limit the bandwidth. If a signal is bothersome or dangerous, it has to be eliminated at the front of the source.
He has instructed you wrongly, YouTube
The World Beyond 20kHz Article By Earthworks Audio Founder David E. Blackmer

Last edited by Chris Daly; 27th September 2018 at 09:01 AM.

Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"Hide this!Advertise here!