AD797 Preamp based on stolen trademark

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"A good example is the MBL6010D preamp of this thread. The e-bay clone is nowhere near the real preamp. If the buyer has to replace all the AD797, it will cost more than the clone as I pointed out in earlier post."

You make it sound as though you expect the clone to sound as good as the original but with fake parts because you're not prepared to buy the genuine article.

You deserve what you get, pal.

You make it sound as though you expect the clone to sound as good as the original but with fake parts because you're not prepared to buy the genuine article.

You deserve what you get, pal.
Why buy these kind of parts from AliExpress?

Even on a complex preamp you might spend 20-30 $ extra getting the stuff from a reputable distributor and you know they are golden.
$20-30 will get you 2 genuine AD797. You will need $150 of parts to populate the MLB6010D clone we are talking here.

Scott Wurcer said that some fake part from China may work the same as the genuine one. I am very interested in how to find it out.
One slight correction, we did have a foundry steal masks and run parts. In that case they were technically fake but were fully in spec because they were also the same.
I said that's for you to find out, if someone re-brands 5534's as 797's and sells them for $2 they don't work the same for obvious reasons. You can probe out a genuine 797 with a VTVM from the external pins, there is no other part that will match.
The real MBL-6010D is a 77 pounds beast of a pre-amplifier costing $100,000 ten years ago.
MBL 6010 D preamplifier | Stereophile.com
View attachment 800833
I have no illusion that you can clone one for $400 (including AD797 upgrade). However, it is very interesting to see how a full function line level pre-amp at affordable cost using the AD797 can sound.

MBL demonstrated that discrete circuitry is not the only way to achieve sonic quality. I fully understand that the op-amp is not the only factor, but MBL showed that they are NOT the limiting factor. It is interesting for the DIY to explore what we can do.

Last edited:
"I am not the one who doesn't care about intellectual property - I earn for living by marketing my own IP. However, depriving colleagues from information just for sake of protecting interests of large corporations is childish. A mirror picture of Robbin Hood."

So you'd get pissed off if someone stole your IP, but its ok to leverage someone else's 'IP brand' through mislabelled fake parts?

Double standards indeed.
I don't think you understand. Let's just agree that we dissagree on this matter.:D
EDIT: The only way to defeat unfair competitors is to have much broader insight into the matter and capability to convince your clients that you're the only good choice. And I would never ask anyone on internet to protect me from unfair competitors. This all IP circus reminds me to good old Don Quixote protecting his beloved Dulcinea del Toboso.

EDIT2: And don't forget, we are all friends here, sharing similar interests and are all nice to eachother. Let's be friends and share our "secrets".

Cheers, and no offense meant. :cheers:

Last edited:
The 5534 nulls to V+ on pins 1 and 8. The 797 to V- on pins 1 and 5. There will be equal resistors if measured at the pins (make sure the voltage burden of your meter is <.5V or you might see an ESD diode). Jan, the fakers can't do anything about the pin out.

A real LT1028 would have 130 Ohms rather than 12K on pins 1 and 8 if it was a rebranded 5534.

Thanks Scott, as I'm unsure if your statement regarding the voltage burden of

my meter.

I assume that I will measure the pins using the meters 2 wire resistance feature,
not 4 wire kelvin connection?

Also, how would I use and ESD Diode? Where would I place it?

The meters I have are HP34401A. Looking for voltage burden didn't turn up anything in the manual.

Thanks Scott, as I'm unsure if your statement regarding the voltage burden of

my meter.

I assume that I will measure the pins using the meters 2 wire resistance feature,
not 4 wire kelvin connection?

The Ohm meter forces current and measures voltage, you want this voltage to be <0.5V so you don't forward bias any internal diodes be they ESD devices or not. VTVM's had an Ohms/Volt for each scale, modern voltmeters don't. In reality just try it you should be OK, reverse the leads and see if it is the same.

The Ohm meter forces current and measures voltage, you want this voltage to be <0.5V so you don't forward bias any internal diodes be they ESD devices or not. VTVM's had an Ohms/Volt for each scale, modern voltmeters don't. In reality just try it you should be OK, reverse the leads and see if it is the same.
Scott, Will do.
Question at least for me.
Should I plug these into a board and supply +-10VDC or +-15VDC to the
amps and measure the voltage readings across the pins? I assume I check
the real V+ and real V- values powering the device, and then follow your
guide to see if they are nulled at the correct pins.

5534: Nulled V+ @ P1-P8
797: Nulled V- @ P1-P5

w/o power:
LT1028: 130ohm P1-P8
5534: 12Kohm P1&P8. (this also being the rebranded LT1028).

Good stuff, thanks.

Cheers,

Berlusconi, Did you finally get your clone & if so what did it sound like,

Cheers
Hi gigigirl :),
The board hasn't arrived yet, but I will let you all know how the board worked before-and-after the replacement of the chip. I alredy have four AD797ANZ purchased from reputable supplier Conrad/Germany. It is interesting that here in Europe AD797ANZ isn't commonly on stock. Even at Farnell UK it is listed as: "Available until stock is exhausted"

This Corrona virus has delayed everything, not just Chinese shipping lines but also across Europe too. Even one delivery from Germany which usually arives within 4-7 days has delayed for three weeks.

And, Good morning. It is dawn here, almost 6 AM, so let's start the day early to get things done.

Hi I just spotted this unit on F/bay, May give it a try as I have a spare trans, suitable box & about 12 x AD797 spare in my collection of bits & pieces

AC15V-0-15V Audio Preamp Amplifier Board w/ Potentiometer Refer Germany MBL6010D | eBay

I really need the balanced version for my ultra low output phono, but this at least will give me an idea of what it sounds like.

Cheers & keep Safe
Gigi, this is a line amp and not a phono stage. I am not even sure how it Refer Germany MBL6010D. It seems to be a NE5534 line amp board only.

The 4 on board trimmer look interesting. Do you know their function?

Last edited:
Hi I just spotted this unit on F/bay, May give it a try as I have a spare trans, suitable box & about 12 x AD797 spare in my collection of bits & pieces

AC15V-0-15V Audio Preamp Amplifier Board w/ Potentiometer Refer Germany MBL6010D | eBay

I really need the balanced version for my ultra low output phono, but this at least will give me an idea of what it sounds like.

Cheers & keep Safe

There are a number of these "MBL6010D" preamps available in EBAY, Aliexpress and TB. I bought a kit of this version a number of years ago.
?MBL6010D ?? ?????????? ?????-???
I like the PCB design (particularly the symmetrical layout) . Basically two stages of amplification per channel (basically 4 amplification modules for the whole amp). The seller actually provided the schematic of the amp. For this kit, the 4 trimmers are provided to adjust the voltage offset of each opamp in each module. I have 49710 in them and it is very quiet and it sounds very clean and neutral. I use a "clone DACT" type volume port and a R-core tranny.

Regards,.

Sometimes the secret of great sound is also in the details (i.e. parts selection). For instance if panel sockets were not important there would not be market for high quality panel sockets.
Cardas_GRFA_Long-960.jpg

One example ... i suspect the volume attenuator used in the real MBL is very very high quality. A precision part.
I am a little obsessed by volume pots lately. I have the feeling that some on ebay are even fake parts.
I would look at a stepped attenuator with a decent mechanism and resistors for good sound.

Last edited:
Well I received my built up board last week, with the JRC5534DD (presumably fake) op-amps fitted.
I fitted it to my case that previously had a JC-2 in it. I am still waiting for my AD797 op-amps to arrive so I will not do any serious listening until I get them
Anyway after a couple of days of burning in I decided to give it a listen though my Pass H/P amp & AGK701 cans, How did it sound, well not bad at all, certainly better than the JC-2 that was previously being used.
Will give a further update when the AD797's arrive.

Cheers
If it sounds better than the JC-2 with only the NE5534, it has potential.

Did you consider replacing the regulator circuit with an outboard low noise PSU? You can get this board using 317/337 with an opamp de-noiser for about $10. See this post at the power supply forum.
What is this opamp doing in this power supply schematic?

Hi, Yes I have thought about that & also upgrading what would be a fake Alps Pot.
However the board shown, which I had not seen before) outputs DC, So I take it I would need to locate were the DC output from the build in board was. Or can you just wire in a +15 / -15 DC supply to the place where you would normally wire the transformer to?

Cheers
I will take all active components (opamp etc.) off the socket before surgical operation.

Remove the rectifier diodes, main filter caps and anything else between them. Make a red jumper from one of the AC-in (use the rectifier hole) to the positive hole of the positive filter cap and a black jumper from the other AC-in to the negative hole of the negative filter cap. Leave the small caps and other components after of the main filter caps in place.

Check continuity from the new +DC in to the opamp + supply pin. Any of the opamp will do. Check continuity from the new -DC in to the opamp - supply pin. If good, you are ready for action.

Hi, Thanks Keilu, But that's way above my pay grade. I have very basic electronical knowledge & Skills. Thanks why I normally buy build up kit's.

Derek Derek
I understand. Taking components off an assembled PCB is not my favorite hobby either.

For my line level preamp, I use a clone of the Sugden DAC line output board which is very faithful to the original. I have been using a twin TL1083CP regulator PSU for the past year and am waiting for the opamp servo de-noiser PCB to replace the power supply.
IMG_4874.jpg FET_JCR5534_schematic.jpg FET_JCR5534-5.jpg

LM317-LM337_LF353ServoRectifier.jpg LM317-LM337_LF353ServoRectifier_picture.jpg

On the lineamp board, I replaced the NE5534 with LME49710 which is much cheaper than the LD797 and very good for line level.

Hi, Just spotted this for under $60, From what I can tell, this may be suitable for the power supply you suggested

HIFI MBL6010D Preamplifier Preamp Board Tone adjust Fit For NE5532 NE5534 OPA 228243292918 | eBay

Cheers
For a simple board with 4 NE5534 and 2 NE5532, the $60 price tab seems way too high. Did you check AliExpress? It seems to be unbalanced in and out only. No balanced port!

What potentiameters and how many does it include for the tone control?

Last edited:
Hi Keilau, Great suggestion, Yes same board on Alliexpress without fake op-amps, (which I do not need_ for $36. I do not need balanced, so single ended is fine for me.

Lusya HIFI MBL6010D Preamp Tone audio Board Pre signal Buffer Amplifier Board T0047|Amplifier| - AliExpress

Cheers
Lusya said:
The board is suitable for the NE5532, NE5534 and OPA series op amps.
The AD797 cannot be placed in the front position. You can use the reverse output at the back to replace the different op amps. The sounds have different changes. OPA series op amps to adjust the sounds you like. The three-stage balance, the density of the sound is good, the treble is strong, the vocals are sweet, and the low frequency is deep.
When it cannot use the AD797 opamp, how does it relate to the MBL6010D? It must have a different circuit topology than the MLB6010D. However, I do realize that AD797 is not the optimal choice for line level preamp. The confusion just deepens.