Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Arduino controled PGA2310 Preamp
Arduino controled PGA2310 Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2016, 08:01 AM   #31
isakeliyahu is offline isakeliyahu  Israel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiosyncrasy View Post
For the very similar PGA2320 I connected it through a 10K resistor. It works fine, but I don't recall reading about it in the datasheet. I've seen a few other designs that also used a resistor to connect ZCEN to the 5V rail.

Hmm, I'm controlling the IC using an Arduino that reads an encoder. How exactly would you use an analog pot here? Do you have it wired to an analog input on your microcontroller or something like that? And, if that's what you're doing, whether it goes fast or slow simply depends on how you map your input to whatever volume you send to the PGA IC, doesn't it?
the 10k dose not appear in the datasheet.
ill do that, thank you.

i use arduino as well and yes, it goes to A0 input.
i dont really know how to write a code, i have friend that helps me out.
the reason i'm not using an encoder is that i didnt mange to work it out with encoder.
could you help me out with code and scheme for the encoder please?
what kind/type of encoder you used, any link?
i thank you in advanced.
have a great day
Old 7th August 2016, 05:01 PM   #32
Idiosyncrasy is offline Idiosyncrasy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakeliyahu View Post
i use arduino as well and yes, it goes to A0 input.
i dont really know how to write a code, i have friend that helps me out.
the reason i'm not using an encoder is that i didnt mange to work it out with encoder.
could you help me out with code and scheme for the encoder please?
what kind/type of encoder you used, any link?
i thank you in advanced.
have a great day
Sure, if you're using an Arduino Uno / Genuino Uno, this would probably be the best way:
  1. Install the library from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Encoder.html (see: Installing Additional Arduino Libraries);
  2. Wire the rotary encoder channels to digital pin 2 and pin 3 on the Arduino (those support hardware interrupts) and be sure to provide the encoder with 5V;
  3. Include the library in your program and use the example code from the link above to read from the encoder.
The Arduino Micro that I'm using has some issues with this library, so I rolled my own code, but it might be harder to use in your situation than the library linked above.

As for the encoder itself, I'm using a Bourns EM14 optical encoder as my setup requires an encoder with a momentary switch. If you don't need such functionality you can also get encoders with higher resolutions, for example, that support 64 changes per revolution.
Old 7th August 2016, 05:09 PM   #33
Idiosyncrasy is offline Idiosyncrasy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This page on the Arduino website also has a lot of good information on using rotary encoders: Reading Rotary Encoders Contents
Old 8th August 2016, 07:45 AM   #34
isakeliyahu is offline isakeliyahu  Israel
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much
I decided to stay with analog pot cause of the feel of the touch
I really need to solve the clicking ticking noise problem.
When googling obout this issue it turns out to be a DC offset.
Having a look at the datasheet of the PGA2310, TI says its should be 3mV DC offset, when the PGA2311 is only 0.5mV DC offset but the PGA2311 should work only with 5(+)(-)V.
I really think that the PGA2311 will have better results then the PGA2310.
i will have to order one to confirm this.

Last edited by isakeliyahu; 8th August 2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10th August 2016, 03:41 PM   #35
linuxworks is offline linuxworks  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw, I also have a pga project going on right now. link to the forum where a lot of discussion is happening:

AMB Laboratories DIY Audio • View topic - TI PGA23xx solid state volume control chip support

will be entering public beta test soon and boards are working nicely so far. software still under devel with some new interesting features being added.

Arduino controled PGA2310 PreampHide this!Advertise here!