Newbie audio chain question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. Been glossing the forums for collected wisdom and wanted to check up on the audio chain. Assuming I have an turntable with an MC setup, then I should need a head amp, a phono amp, a pre amp and finally on to the power amp. Correct?

Given all that I have some concern about the amount of componentry in there. As I'm just getting in to DIY I'd prefer to keep everything separate but that's going to be a lot of interconnect cables and distance. One option I suppose is to put the phono and pre amp sections in the same box.

Is having those 4 components seperate going to cause any issues? Secondly are there any advantages in using an MC head amp over a step-up transformer or vice versa? Of course they could be the same thing and I've simply not read enough yet :)

Cheers,
Graeme

Hi,
your componentry assumption is correct.

I prefer to have the amplification of low level sources right at the source.
Then drive long cables to where the power amplification is located.

This type of arrangement would suit headamp and phono pre as a common unit next to the turn table, or even inside it.

The main amplifier can be separate components, pre-amp with selector and volume control and a power amp/s or combined into an integrated amplifier.

I prefer the volume control near my listening position and the Power Amps right behind the speakers. This requires separation of pre from power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.