Rod Elliot Project 88 question

If balance (and volume) pot is not used my schematic must be used. 15k resistor is for fake log pot used in original ESP schematic. Also, 1k5 must be replaced with 47-100R.

Hi Ivan,

In this reply you said 'if no balance and volume pot'. I'm going to use 10k log for volume, without balance pot. Do I still need to replace r5 to 50-100ohm? Or should I only replace 15k to 100k? Other than that, I see that some resistor values are different than original 88 schematic. Can you explain why is this necessary?

Thanks

I etched another pcb and used resistor values from post 30 schematic.

I'm sure it will be ok. In the meantime I'm using protoboard preamp to test and it seems it's pretty good sounding.

I made B1 and BA3 preamp before this one. I used B1 for almost two years and another two years I used BA3 preamp. Both of them is driving pass F5 clone.
As you know F5 gain is pretty low and it needs a sensitive speakers to shine. I'm using 4 ohm 86dB speakers right now and F5 with added gain from BA3 cannot feed enough juice to these speakers.

I always had distance to opamp base preamps and I always thought it cannot be better than any discrete design. But this little thing is impressive as it is..

I tried NE5532 and OPA2134 so far. I'm planning to try OPA2604 and old jfet input type opamps.

Anyone tried any other opamp with this project?
If so, can you please share your experience?

Thanks..

Seems I'm the only one in this thread now :-(

I'm in the process of getting started with EasyEDA to make my own PCBs for this pre. I'd need some general advice for PBC layout for opamp based amps. Can someone point me in the right direction or give me some advice? For Example:

1) track width for signal / power
2) general advice for routing signal and power
3) general advice for gnd plane / pour on the pcb

I know one should keep transformers away from audio circuits - what about rectifiers? Say I power the pre from an AC wall wart and have the rectifier / dual power supply in the chassis. Should that be kept away from the audio circuit?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes.

As you mention, the transformer is the biggest noise source, but there is also ringing and noise in the rectification.

A properly designed snubber will make a large difference in radiated noise. Mark Johnson did a very good article in Linear Audio about this.

Thanks, i'll read up on the snubber topic. Should the rectification also be physically seperated (shielded, kept at distance) from the amplifier circuit?

Regarding the PCB layout: What are the recommended track widths for power and signal?Can Signal and power cross or is this to be avoided?

My version of the P88 I made a few years back, still listen to it as my primary preamp. Sound quality is rather good for such a simple design.

Attachments

• PreampSch.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 327
  • _zoom_thumb_IMG_4550.jpg
    _zoom_thumb_IMG_4550.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 632
  • _zoom_thumb_IMG_4562.jpg
    _zoom_thumb_IMG_4562.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 585