Rod Elliot Project 88 question

thanks, ivanlukic!

Prasi, would you be willing to share the PCB file? I'm trying to teach myself how to design PCBs and I've been tinkering with this circuit a bit and would really like to learn from an existing PCB file. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just looked at your website and realised that you are a professional PCB designer. That puts my question into a different context i guess.... i don't want to ask for any freebies ...

Last edited:
thanks, ivanlukic!

Prasi, would you be willing to share the PCB file? I'm trying to teach myself how to design PCBs and I've been tinkering with this circuit a bit and would really like to learn from an existing PCB file. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just looked at your website and realised that you are a professional PCB designer. That puts my question into a different context i guess.... i don't want to ask for any freebies ...

Hello Mixi,
I can share, the only problem is the format. I use eagle cad to design PCBs, very few use that.

Now which software do you use and what format would you require?
If gerbers are ok with you, I will post them here:).

regards
Prasi
P.S. PCBs I post here are meant for diyers, so enjoy:D

Hi Prasi!

That sounds terrific, thanks! I am really only starting on this and don't know much about it. I have a version of eagle on my computer as well as Fritzing. I believe gerbers will be fine. Actually I though most people use eagle :). If you have a suggestion of a beginner friendly software to use I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks!
Michi

Hello Michi,
Many here use Sprint Layout. Its cheap (50EUR). Its very simple and intuitive. Within 2 hrs , you can start making a simple layouts such as this circuit.
Only and the major disadvantage is , no compatibility checking with schematic. So, one has to be very careful while making layout. You can easily clone layouts from images (literally in minutes) and then modify it to your requirements/packages. free version cant be used to save designs or generate gerbers:(

Eagle is difficult to learn , takes lots of practice depending upon person. But major advantage is that it can check the compatibility of layout against your schematic. Free version is fully functional but PCB size is limited to 80mmx 100mm :(.

Diptrace is similar to eagle , many say, simpler to learn. I have limited experience in diptrace.

regards
Prasi

Hi Prasi,
Have you tried integrating Apex TB3 tone control with Project 88. I hope that would be a complete preamp. It would be great if you could add a provision to connect a tone board in between stage 1 and 2.

Thank you
Sha

Hello Sha,
Sorry, I havent tried that. As far as I am concerned, I am done here and glad that it helped Mixi get going (hopefully):).
regards
Prasi

prasi, thank you very much for sharing the files! i'll try to "analyze" them and hope to get a better understanding!

right now i'm prototyping the p88 circuit on a breadboard. it works fine but gets a little less gain than it should have. according to the esp site each stage should have a gain of 2x using 10k resistors in the feedback loop - so 4x or 12.02db for both stages.

i didn't use a pot but bridged stage 1 and 2 (see photo, blue wire between row 16 and 22). i get a gain of 3,69 or 11,34db - so a little less than specified. is that due to the bridge; because there's no resistance between the stages?

zh3dGFW.jpg

I have built several P88s over the last 15 yrs. The sound is excellent and less tiring than the sound from a B1 buffer preamp.

Wow, never heard any reports of the Pass b1 sounding tiring, must have a problem with your build somewhere perhaps ?

PCB layout, I recommend Eagle. Main hassle is the learning curve, but look up guides on YouTube for the best introduction.

prasi, thank you very much for sharing the files! i'll try to "analyze" them and hope to get a better understanding!

right now i'm prototyping the p88 circuit on a breadboard. it works fine but gets a little less gain than it should have. according to the esp site each stage should have a gain of 2x using 10k resistors in the feedback loop - so 4x or 12.02db for both stages.

i didn't use a pot but bridged stage 1 and 2 (see photo, blue wire between row 16 and 22). i get a gain of 3,69 or 11,34db - so a little less than specified. is that due to the bridge; because there's no resistance between the stages?
I really can not explain why its happening, probably due to the actual resistor values.. do you have a schema of your actual build?
Lack of balance pot should not affect gain.
As per ESP site, the first stage has gain of 6, followed by a loss of 3 dB in balance and second stage gain of 6.02= total of 9.02.

regards
Prasi

I have built 2 B1s and both were similar sounding. The B1 design and layout was Ok but the B1 tends to be unforgiving of both poorer quality recordings and some amplifiers.

The P88 however produces a smoother sound even though it uses a conventional regulator and now a cap multiplier. I might try that cap multiplier with the B1 instead of the shunt PSU to see if that makes a difference but I do like the P88, especially as it provides gain, which the B1 does not. ... also I bought a whole lot of the Burr Brown OPAMPs years ago so I am keen to use them on something that works very well.

I designed my own P88 printed circuit boards using Sprint Layout and got them made in China instead of my normal practise of making the blank boards myself. The cost was only a little more expensive but the quality was much better than what i could achieve.

PS:
Sprint Layout is a good option as a simple PCB design tool (not free). I have used it to design hundreds of small boards, the most recent being small analogue I/O boards for a Raspberry PI!

i built it exactly according to the schematics on the esp site. same resistor values and everything. with the only exception of not using a pot (no balance, no volume) between the stages. i bridged the stages with a wire. might have time to buy pots today and complete the prototype. yeah, also i only used one side of the opamp for my prototype - so it's a mono amp now. :)