How easy is it to convert from 110V AC to 240V AC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been offered an old kenwood DD turntable for next to nothing. No idea what model as I have yet to see it but I understand that it is designed to run of 110V AC.

Is it possible to adapt it to run off 240V AC by just replacing the mains transformer or is it more complicated than that?

Yes, a step-down transformer seems the easiest way forward, (I hadn't even thought of that that option!).

From what I recall it does have a strobe ring on the outside of the platter. Is there any way I can get this to work in the UK? Seems as a shame not to be able to use the strobe .:(

I've just come off the 'phone from the current owner of said turntable and he informs me it's a 3070.

He just want's shot of it as he cannot use it due to the 110V AC configuration. I figure it would be worth having a play with so I think I'll buy it and see what happens.

Since it has a strobe, it will have an adjuster. If it had a synchronous motor you would have had to change a pulley size. You can always make a strobe disk to suit 50Hz to sit on the turntable, or you could get someone to make a little strobe light operating at 120Hz - that would have pose value!

I ran an American Garrard deck in the UK for several years using a mains light bulb in SERIES with the motor. It glowed dimly and was only slightly warm - it was mounted inside the box. It's cheap and very easy to do, but you need to know what you are doing. :hot: You could have it outside in a nice desk lamp and make a feature of it! It's also possible to use a lamp dimming type circuit but they tend to be electronically noisy and may give you grief in the audio department.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
tubenut said:
Maybe I am thick but I have tried to search for Strobe by EC8010 and learnt a lot on threads read but no strobe circuit... Can anyone point / link me to the right thread?

I couldn't seem to find it either, so here's the circuit again.

Attachments

• zapper.gif
    zapper.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 156
FYI, with Lenco turntables, you can't move them across the pond- having a different mains frequency (50 v 60 Hz) causes the spindle to turn at a different speed (or something like that - the idler arm runs off the spindle?). I don't know if this will be a problem with your turntable, but maybe someone else does...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.