• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Is the Saksa85 worth buying?

I have 2x N80s - in fact, I'm listening to them right now! :) (They are my 'summer amps' - my winter amps are 40w Class A that Hugh designed and 'gave' to diyAudio.)

Having heard a SAKSA (but not in my system) - yes, I would say it does sound better than the N80.

But not by a massive amount - so, is the small increase in SQ you would hear ... worth the $ outlay, to you?

Whereas if you could justify buying a Maya - that would be a lot more $ ... but would be a significant upgrade! :)

Andy

I listened to the SAKSA against a NAKSA80 a few years back when I was visiting Hugh.

To my ears, the SAKSA is a nice step up from the very nice NAKSA80. And at a very good price.

But when I heard the Maya200, I was sold! It beats all amps I have heard to date :)

I now have four Maya200s in my active system, but I still have my two NAKSA80s, which will be used for a second system - they are simply too nice to part with. If I'd had a pair of SAKSAs instead, I would also have kept those ;)

All Aspen amps I have owned have this uncanny musicality, and choosing any of them will bring a lot of joy!

Cheers,

Jens

Maya and Preamp

As Steve remarks, no preamp needed, gain is 28.5dB. But it's necessary to have a volume control, and most digital sources have one. Otherwise, a very high quality 25k log stepped attenuator is the ticket, although the RK27 ALPS plastic conductive pots are quite good.

If you decide to use a preamp, it's a good idea to use one with a tube in the circuit to give that indefinable tube sound. The Maya likes this style, but it sounds absolutely wonderful with or without it.

Hugh

Steve and Hugh are absolutely right - no preamp needed :)

I use a passive preamp (Tortuga Audio) to get the volume control and to be able to switch between sources, but if you have a DAC with a good volume control and don't need any other analogue input, you are all set!

Cheers,

Jens

I've got a RME-ADi 2 fs DAC so it's got a volume control, and it sends a strong signal compared to other usd dac's that I used before - I think it will work quite well together.
Have any of you tried a tube preamp with the Maya? If so did you get that holographic projection?