Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 19th July 2021, 02:48 PM   #1
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default How old is old enough for your AKSA amp

Hi all,

I am in a process of rebuilding some old gear, namely a TAG Mclaren processor with new capacitors as the current ones are reaching the 15y old mark. This is done for quite a lot of folks and apparently is sufficient to fix some error codes / glitches that the processor exhibits in a device of this age.

Meanwhile, i was wondering if it would be sensible to "recap" the AKSA power amps after 2 decades of good old service too ? My eldest amps from Hugh are the AKSA 100N, dont remember the exact date but probably getting to 20 years now.....that is a lot ....wow...time flies.

Does it make sense to touch it, if no problem seem to be happening ?
Is there a % reduction in say power supply reservoir capacity with a 20 year old psu ? TAG fans seem to refer that a 10 year old amp, probably is at 70% capacity and this can be noticed in "midrange and bass". Does this make any sense ?

I honestly cant say if anything sounds different from 20y ago...as my memory is not THAT good.

Food for thought and discussion
SAF
Old 20th July 2021, 01:27 AM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the post! My golly and old AKSA, even my prototype has already gone to god........
I would simply replace the eight 4,700uF 63VW power supply. You should notice an improvement in sound quality, particularly bass.

I hope your summer in Porto is lovely; I have a good friend who loves your town, and even Alessandra, my youngest in NYC, has been there too and loved it!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 21st July 2021, 03:00 PM   #3
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh !

Thanks for replying about the capacitors.
So your judgement is not to touch the amp PCB, just change the PSU right?

Those caps are easy enough to source, any brand recommendation? Nichicon?

Summer in Porto is breezing lovely. I have still to take a few weeks off work this year, the wife and kids are demanding it to be next month. Will do.
Pandemic is forcing us to stay close to home these holidays, but we will make it work anyways. Granpa's swimming pool is close enough

This forum has been too quiet. Where are you posting your new amps now?
How is the ClassA project coming along ? Are you selling already?

All the best
Filipe
Old 22nd July 2021, 05:02 AM   #4
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Felipe,

Yes, just replace the ps caps and the sound should improve and yes, I like Nichicon in this role. Electros do degrade over time, but generally if they are used a lot they last longer. If they are not used, or they are kept in hot conditions, they can degrade quite quickly, aroune 7 or 8 years. But these day there are different grades of caps, starting at 1k hours right through to 10k hours durability. You can also specify different max temperatures; 85C is normal, but you can now buy 105C and 125C caps which can be used in tougher environments.

I now sell less amps than in my fifties, and I sell fully built and tested modules which of course sell in smaller numbers than kits. I had to do this to reduce my email support, which was up to 15 hours a day. And of course in the last two decades we have seen the rise and rise of China, and now people can buy amps with amazing features for peanuts, and of course everyone loves champagne tastes on beer income! Most of the Chinese products are average to bad quality, but their quality is improving as they learn very quickly. At the same time the Asian Tiger is standing proud these days, and a number of western countries are starting to realise they no longer manufacture anything and they are defenceless, and seeing rising unemployment. So I expect this situation will not last forever, so I continue to design and test new amps.

I have done a very good Class A amp, in fact a couple, the Glass Harmony and the Alpha Omega. But I'm affronted by the energy waste, they dissipate at least 100W per channel, and in our new green world I shy away from them. Instead I continue to try to design an AB amplifier that sounds as good as a Class A, and I am getting better.... watch this space, a new amp will be released, a mid-range 125W AB amp in monoblock, in the next few months. It will take its position between the entry level AB SAKSA 85 and the flagship Maya 200 which you use! I will offer it at middle cost (around $1800 for two modules) ready for Xmas this year.

Thanks for your continuing interest, Felipe! Life goes on, your boys are quickly turning into young men, and my eldest has just produced a grandchild, our first! I'm getting old, but I do sell still, and I am getting better at designing too!

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 22nd July 2021 at 08:55 AM.
  Reply to this post

How old is old enough for your AKSA ampHide this!Advertise here!